Coyote hunting in Maine...

that's what I'm doing. I have got a dilemma though. I put out a roadkill deer a week before deer season and nothing has touched it, that's a month ago, not even crows. it's a good spot I've killed coyotes there before. I can't figure it out, any ideas?

Don-

We see that in the winter when there is natural bait (e.g., winter tick killed moose) around. Try opening the bait up so some meat is showing and hope the birds find it to draw in the coyotes.

Btw- I'm heading to camp today for the week. I'll be bringing my gear with me.

Dave,I went up on Sunday to look at things and the deer is gone, devoured. so today I went up and added a bunch of deer parts. there were a bunch of coyote tracks in the snow around what was left of the old girl. obviously they were trying to see how nutty I'd get, they have their own timetable. they'll pay. by the way don't try putting bait out on the ice yet, it's a little thin yet

Last edited:
They were running rabbits hard all week Don. While chasing deer- I had three different occasions where a group of dogs broke into howling and what I interpret as greetings / dinner is on / happy yelps / barks / howls. When we left camp today there were dogs howling across the lake too. One in my party connected with a young female coyote in a cedar swamp on Monday. No deer were around where she was, though they usually congregate there before heading to yard. Conditions were good for tracking coyotes the beginning part of the week- and hopefully will be again soon as I enjoy stacking coyotes on fresh snow as much (if not more than) as deer- and have better luck on coyotes on snow. I was able to stalk a couple of very vocal dogs from about a mile out, and was able to turn them with a howler I had in my pocket and got them back within 150 yards but wasn't in a good position to close the deal. Had I had a rabbit call stashed in my deer hunting outfit...

Back at them when I get back from Saskatchewan.

that sounds very cool Dave, are there any good openings, clear cuts etc,? I guess I'll have to take a look up on the stud mill road. I haven't been up there for a while, since I got old.
don

There are a few big cuts, but not like there used to be. Lots of fairly open thinned areas though. I'll be heading back up that way as soon as I find time after my trip to Saskatchewan. I'll look you up and try to drag you out of Orland for a day if the snow isn't too deep.

Registration for the annual coyote derby is now open. Sounds like it's grown a bit this year.

HUNT0012_zpspbagb1eb.jpg
hopefully this is my next score. all the planets have got to align and I can't screw up. got to wait till the wind is right for the spot which is south west, then make the right sound combination. it would make a very good Christmas present

Last edited:
I've been hunting this cat since the season opened. we don't have to many of them around my area. he walked right to me about 10 yards away during deer season just a few days before he crossed.

This Red too

well that's a pretty cool spot you have there, I hope you get them. I've got to wait till the wind is right, and I've got to come up with a sound the it likes. good luck to ya
don

Ive been out 6 or 7 times at dusk trying to call but have been unsuccessful thus far. Using a rabbit in distress hand call. Im pretty sure wind is correct each time. I think I am just a bad caller. Hoping to get an electronic call soon.

DSCN0478_zpsdbunyfb9.jpg

just got this guy yesterday, came in to lip squeaks from my fury2. a bobcat came in first, then about 15 minutes later the coyote. he weighed 37 lbs. It's been 3 months since I've called one in so I was quite happy. this is not the one I've been seeing through the trail cam. this was another spot, so I'm still hunting for that one
don

Last edited:
grady the terrain is 5 rectangular hay fields with stone walls and trees as dividers with bar ways. I got there just at 1st light. the bobcat came into the field below me. I'm not really interested in the cat and I was very surprised to see the coyote in about the same area about 15 minutes later. I shot him at 161 yds. the wind was variable and I didn't want to take a chance waiting any longer
don

Back