20 coyotes and nothing under 300 yards.

5spd

My pal and I counted 20 coyote out calling today and not one made a commitment to come closer than 300 yards. They would just stay out there mousing, dinking around w/each other, looking our direction & go back to mousing no matter the sounds we tossed out.
1st one at 7am I shot was at 345 yards after they came off a hill over a dead cow, then decided to head up the bottom land. 1 stopped after we started calling and just sat there plain as day.
I dropped prone, dialed my 300 yard setting, put on back and he dropped and its pal jumped up from the grass and was gone.
We headed out to where the ranch connects to one that wont let coyote callers on it under the giant power lines, drove in a ways, glassed and saw 5 out in his hay bales over 800 yards.
We walked at them on our side & laid atop a crest and started calling, took 18 min and finally 2 coyotes popped up and just sat there for a bit at over 400 yds then came in a bit more.
I was 30 yards off the side of the crest from my pal and had to belly crawl over the top to see them below & across from me. I dialed on the one I could see then heard my pals suppressed gun go off, the one below me turned sideways and I dropped it at 345 yards before it could move out. I then see the other flying across the gully limping and it stops near the gate line, I hold a tad over it and pffttwwaaap it drops, my pal hit it running after it busted the scent trail & I finished it at 410 yards, nice double.
We go help the rancher do some chores as that's the main reason we were there today as it is and I didn't bring any camo at all, just tools and my coyote rigs.
We head out and by his sons ranch we call in a corner spot that has 6 fingers, flat wide open bottom land for a mile each way or more and call. YUP 2 pop up at 600 yards and say forget you guys we want real mice so they moused their way across the flat land absolutely refusing to come our way & in no hurry going away.
As they stick to the other side of this valley we see 2 more come in from the cattle herd way out there north of the last 2 and sure as heck they would rather mouse in the tall grasses than run into our laps for their lead supplements.
Ahhh heck we decide to cut 2 miles up the ranches 2 track and get down wind of those 2 that are about 3/4 mile off.
We get there and call & call & call. All we see are 3 muley buck laying next to hay bales in the shade side.
My pal stands up and at the same instant I see a coyote in the creek bottom. I motion for him to sit and tell him where it is & I am going to put a stalk on it as its not in any hurry down there. From this distance it looks like a p-dog and I figure at least 700+ yards.
I hump it to a low hill in front of me and since it cant see me when I pop over I go into belly crawl for another 20 yards or so.
I range haybales at 650 and nothing comes up past that where he is. I figure another 200 easy.
I dial my scope to then recheck my range notes and I have dialed up almost 2 full turns & then just for no reason I say 2 more clicks ol man. He is broadside & mousing, full of mirage as its 1115 am and sun busting down.
I feel no wind, but do have a very slight breeze on my left cheek so I hold 1 mil into that and crosshair on top of its back & the 6x6.8 & 55g varmageddon in front of H335 fire off.
He drops on the spot & I sure feel like a happy jack!
Crud, now that walk to find him & drag it back & that took 35min at least.
I find that guy with a bullet right behind the shoulder (1st Pic) so all my guestimations were close enough to count.
My pal ranges me at 889 yards with is Lieca when I am down there where he is at & tell me so when I get back to the truck.
Driving back to the ranch house we see 2 coyote standing about 500 yards off in a wide open tall grassed sloping hilly area under those giant power lines again.
We decide to go south 3 miles and come back in above them which takes us 40 min.
We stalk over above them laying prone and glass & count 5 coyote just mousing below us at 738 yards via pals Lieca rangefinder.
Dang this is 1/2 mile from the 2 we shot earlier also.
Not one would come into calling at all, they just walked back & forth for this time. Well as Im dialing in to take another long shot he says hold on 1 is coming in fast.
Its on a hot trot to that last sound and then it starts to circle, heck it runs into a scent cone way down there, spins & heads out and as it slows down to look at the others that are not running my pal fires off a round and drops it on the spot.
I say its has to be 400 yards.
As he get its and holds it up I range it at 420 yards. I asked how did you hold, he answered 3 mil dots over, nice shot in one ear and out the other, cant get better than that for not even trying. See the camo I have on?
Great day for us overall.

That's some good shooting. Might have to pm you about some 6x6.8 load data and tips. Haven't quite got a load tuned to the point I'm satisfied in mine, yet.

Looks like you guys are quite a bit warmer up there than we are right now.

Great shooting 5 !
You're making the 6x6.8 a stand-up wildcat
thumbup.gif

Nice shooting 5spd!

Felt just like I was there with you!

Nice shooting and it sounds like the warm weather and full moon just didn't have the coyotes in the mood for you.

Maybe next time:)

Originally Posted By: dan brothersJim... you and your buddy are my New Heroes.... where do I sign up for my hero shirts?

Dan, i'd head that way on your journey if you're looking for long range!

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: dan brothersJim... you and your buddy are my New Heroes.... where do I sign up for my hero shirts?

Dan, i'd head that way on your journey if you're looking for long range!
Dan stayed at my place a few days, unfortunately we didn't get out calling like we wanted.

Originally Posted By: Eugene CanterburyWho is the ugly mug in the white shirt? He just looks guilty of something. Dang fine shootin 5spd.
I tried chasing that guy off, but I wasn't listening, hahaha
It was in the mid 50s that day, but coyotes were out all over.

Back