Two down in new spot

dustinyotes

Some of my family members have been elk hunting in an area and told me that they see a dozen coyotes every time they go looking for elk, my brother-in-law and I made a plan to go Saturday and see if we could call some of the coyotes in. My brother-in-law had been calling a few times but had not had any success and I thought if there are that many coyotes this would be a good place to get him his first called in coyote.

The area we hunted was a 2 1/2 hour drive so we headed out at 4 AM. When we got to the area it was dark still so we drove until we found an area to hide the pick-up and walk over a small rise about 200 yards away. When we got over the rise there was nothing but 12 inch tall grass to sit in and I was concerned that we would be spotted by any coyotes coming to the call but decided we were here so lets give it a try. We sat and waited for it to get light enough to call and about 2 minutes after a howl from the Foxpro my brothrer-in-law spotted a coyote coming, at about 150 yards out the coyote stopped and I was watching the coyote in my scope waiting for the shot and heard the sound of his shooting sticks falling over, I looked over at him and he said to shoot the coyote. I pulled the trigger on my 17 TAC and the first coyote of the day was down.

We made about a dozen stands after this and called in coyotes on every stand but two, the problem we were having is the coyotes would come running in and continue running right on past and never stopping. I tried barking, howling, coyote distress, whisteling but nothing would get these coyotes to slow down or stop for a shot. We saw several coyotes while driving from stand to stand and my brother-in-law got shots at a couple as they ran away.

We ended up right back at the same place we started at the end of the day, I didn't think we had enough light to find another spot to call so we walked over the same rise that we did the first stand of the day just about 300 yards further down the road. I was not sure about calling the same spot that we did earlier in the day but didn't want the last light of day to get waisted. After about 30 minutes of calling I spotted a coyote about 250 yards to my left, the only problem was my brother-in-law was sitting on my right and didn't have a shot. I shot the coyote wih my 220 Swift and knew at the hit that it was a heart shot and the coyote ran over a rise and out of sight. When we walked to where the coyote was standing this is what we found.

The coyote

Always wanted a photo like this

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Last weekend my last call of the day I parked my truck in a spot that was just enough to hide it from view I walked about fifty feet to the edge of the ridge that was about seventy feet above the valley. The Sage was like your grass only about twelve inches high.
I found the tallest one and sit in front of it. I didn't go to far over the edge because my knees were killing me so I was skylined from the bottom and at about four minutes one came running in.

I try to get a hill behind me if I can but I don't worry about it much.

If you don't try you never know if you could've called one in.

Back