Coyote recovery using my dog Scout

sendit223

Hey all,

I haven't dropped by in a while, but I thought the houndsmen would appreciate this picture of my German Shorthair Scout.

Short story: he helped me recover a coyote after I couldn't find it on my own.

Long story: We were on a bird hunting trip and after the morning hunt I put Scout away and went down a coulee to do a quick set while my partner finished running his bird dog down the road a bit. Because it was going to be quick I didn't bring my range finder and I didn't worry too much about "the perfect stand.".

The wind was wrong, it was afternoon and sunny, and there was no cover. I set up anyway and plopped down half way up the side hill of the draw looking southwest into the sun. I use a ghille top and hat, so I looked like a bush that didn't belong there.

Less than 5 minutes after a howl and a few rabbit screams from the hand caller two coyotes streaked in from the downwind side. But they reached a fence at an unknown distance and stopped to stare at me. Neither silence nor calling got them to move. I had to slowly sneak my hand up to the scope cover to sneak a peek at them from time to time, blocking the sun from the objective lens. Eventually then gave up and descended into the brushy bottom of the draw. Decision time.....

I got up and quickly closed the distance as quietly as I could. Halfway there I knew I was inside 200 yards if they showed themselves. Sitting down I put my AR on my sticks and wailed like a rabbit twice. To my surprise the female walked up from the brush and looked at me broadside. I sent my suppressed 60 grain Vmax downrange and heard a satisfying "SMACK" and a "YIPE!". I expected to see a dead coyote but found no blood, no fur, no coyote. I looked for 30 minutes without success. Dejected I walked back to the rig and continued bird hunting on another ranch.

The next day I worked Scout into the wind in that same draw and right at 100 yards from where I hit the coyote Scout went on point. I walked up and saw the coyote where it piled up and died. Scout saved the day!

Here he is doing his thing on birds:

Sendit

sendit where did you hit that coyote. I have experienced the same thing. i had to stop being a snap shooter and start being more precise.

Just a hair too far back. It had to have died in a minute or less but I could have made a better shot. We got her though.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZNice work..

That is a great dog, with those kinds of skills. yeah Scout is a fun dog. A little nutty but we have a good time hunting together.

Sendit

Well Shorthairs will point pretty much anything. Sometimes that's a pain and sometimes it works out. They are "versatile" hunting dogs and originally bred to hunt fur and feathers regardless of size. They track downed game pretty well if you reinforce that instinct.

Their propensity to point "off game" like rabbits and deer gets annoying. But if you get to know your dog you can see a difference in how they point. Their head will be different when pointing deer or other off game, their tail will be down, etc.

This time it worked out according to plan and I got my coyote.

Sendit

Originally Posted By: Rimrock1I have had pointers point rabbits, house cats and skunks.

And it's FAR better when they point the skunks instead of trying to pick them up!

Sendit

Back