My new rifle Tikka T3 Varmint 22-250

bill1227

Tikka T3Varmint 22-250 Runner up,almost purchased (from local gun shop's) was a Remington VSSF .223 on sale....last years model. Both were fine, but I liked this Tikka.
Scope, pod & sling came off another rifle I traded in. Scope is a Bushnell Bannor 6-24 X 40 which will have to make do untill next year.
It's a 1-14 twist so any help on factory quality & cheap paper ammo is greatly appreciated.

IMG_0666.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice. I think the lighter ammo works well with that kind of twist...like 55 gr or less? I had an h&r varmint in .223 that had a 1 in 12 i think and it stacked the 40 grain winchester ballistic silvertip(3700 fps) ammo into ragged hole at 100. I would try the winchester bulk stuff as its cheap and your tikka might love it...otherwise definitely try the ballistic silvertips...every gun i've tried them in has loved them. Good luck...nice rig.

B

Winchester white box 45gr

Remington UMC 50gr

Hornady 50gr V-Max

All of these shoot well in my gun. However, the Hornady delivers exceptional accuracy.

Went to the range today with my new Tikka. Shot off Caldwell bags. First 3 shots at 100 with Winchester white box 45 grain were touching. Bore sight was only off 1" BTW.
Did my break in of 2 -3 shots followed by Shooters Choice # 7, 2 soaked patches and 2 dry......no brush,used a bore guide. Any fauling was done after only a few shots .......sign of a good barrel. But, I kept doing this for the first dozen.
I then set up for 200 the Winchester's opened up but, the Hornady V-Max 50 grain was tight. I quickly zeroed and shot a couple groups. One 5 shot group with the Hornady was 1 1/8" , no stringing etc....just nice.
It's true what I read about the Tikka's this thing is a tack driver out of the box, love the trigger and stock, the bolt and action was like it was on bearings........smooth. Having spent time doing trigger jobs and sanding out stocks........this is a God sent........as is. I would like to see it shoot off a rest and with a better scope. I won't have to do anything with this rifle........"it's a keeper". I will also try some 55 grain.
MY .2 cents......you would be hard pressed to find a better shooting rifle out of the box, everything is quality. The barrel is floated with preasure points throat back, the recoil lug is alum. bedded, there is no need to pillar bed the actions screws with the design,trigger is superb.
Great value, high quality shooter..........I give it a 9 out of 10. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
I have 5 Tikka T-3 lites, Love every one. 223/223 Varmit/243/308/300 win maG. Every one, I have shot will shoot one hole groups, no adjusting, no trigger work, just shoot them!!!
cant beat that, AND they sell for less then Rems, Wins, Rugers.
Carl

Last edited:
I have the same gun in 22-250 i really like it been shooting the winchester white box right now been shooting good Tuesday was out at the range and tryed the winchester 40grBT they didnt shoot any better then the cheaper stuff(white box)would like to try something in 55gr thinking of picking up a box of federal 55gr with the Sierra gameking BTHP anyone out there try these how did you like them?

Quote:
That is one sweet looking setup. I really like the looks of it!

Tony

Hey thanks Tony, Yea I am like a kid at Christmas over right now. I am tell'in ya this rifle is super. The stock is fibrglass reinforced well balanced, the barrel match grade, trigger is great, action like bearings and it "really does shoot tacks"........honest.

Quote:
Guys,

How much will a T-3 Varmint in .223 Rem cost? Who has the best prices?

I paid $675.00 from a local small town gun shop they list at about $900.00. In my oppinion it was/is a better rifle than the Remington VSSF. The Remington was a bit flashy'er the T3 a bit ahead of it's time,better barrel,better built,better stock & trigger,better value. The closer you look and the more you shoot it, the more you appreciate the workmanship and design.

Yes, I got my rifle (Varmit model)for 595.00, the same store has T-3 22-250 for 495.00, syn/blue.
The most expensive Tikka in the store was 595.00, there was about 30 of them in many calibers etc.

I have not shot the Varmit model yet, I will Saturday. I have the new Tikka, and a S&W 629 also. I also need to tune my Tikka 308, a bit.
I break in by: 1 shot & clean 10 rounds.
2 shot & clean for 10 rounds.
I have had no unusual fouling problems.

Then I shoot the heck out of em. Last time out, my Tikka 243. put 10 rounds of factory ammo into .75. right now, I think I need some more Tikkas.
Carl

Last edited:
Back