New to trapping, traps keep getting dug up, need some help

Hagen

Not sure if i'm not burying my traps deep enough or what?? But the last three weeks Ive had the same set being dug up. its a quad set. whatever it is only digs up the trap on the right directly in front of the Hole. I'm brand new to trapping, Ive never been shown anything but what Ive read in several trapping books. So any Tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I'm using MB-650s double staked, and putting traps 1/4 inch below ground. Its been raining alot lately also. not sure if thats hindering my sets or what.

Last edited:
Wire that trap open so it doesn't go off, bury it again. Step back about 10 inches and set another one. Get some scent of some sort, either urine from any animal or even castor from beaver, put it in a bottle with some glycerin and spray about a 4 ft. Area all over the trap area. Soak this area with that scent. Basically the coyote has found ur trap and continues to dig it up. Ur not going to be able to get him to ignore that one so just set another one by it. The strong scent will help overwhelm his nose so that all he can smell well is the scent u sprayed.

I would almost bet money that it is a coon or maybe a red, not a yote.

Coon are notorious for digging up poorly bedded traps here. And just like you said, from the hole because they stepped on the back edge of the trap and it lifted the edge by the hole up.

Some scents and baits are formulated to encourage a digging/scratching response. Always make sure the trap bed edge is firm enough to protect the trap from being pull up during a scratch. The Mb650 is strong enough that you can put them inside a sandwich bag and bed them 1/2-3/4 inch deep. Make sure the pan is lowest spot of the trap bed.

All the Info is appreciated guys. I went ahead and Sprung all my traps. We are having some sort of monsoon season this month here in TN. Since im no pro at bedding a trap in mud Im gonna wait til it dries a little before I reset and rebed.

I would say that 99% chance it is a bedding problem more than a scent problem. A lot of people overthink scent contamination when it is actually a small factor in dig ups. Usually it is a bedding problem. Also, spraying urine everywhere is just a waste of urine because of the way a coyote smells. When we smell a bait or anything we smell it as a whole, when a coyote smells it he smells each individual ingredient in the bait. Try using a couple 20d nails to pin your trap down then bed it.

Last edited:
Back