450 bushmaster

cclark

I have pretty much decided I am going to add a 450 bushmaster upper to my shrinking gun collection. I have read pretty much everything on it I can find. The only thing I am struggling with is 16 or 20 inch. I had to write everything down in order to really figure out why I couldn't make up my mind. Figured out that the only reason I prefer the 20 is it will have less recoil. I plan on applying all the other tricks to reduce the felt recoil. Just how much difference is there in the felt recoil between the two? Thanks in advance. Chris

I have had a Bushmaster 450 for several years. I have the 16 inch and it is perfect for carrying in the thick woods slung over ones chest - military style. If I did anything different I would have an 18 inch barrel WITH NOTHING on the muzzle. I have shot big bores (45-70) for years and the recoil from the 450 is overstated.

It's an AR - if you change your mind later, you're not breaking the bank to rebarrel it! Resell your take-off for 50% of new price and buy a new barrel. Or get it in a carbine or mid-length and cut the barrel down later - comes up not too differently on cost.

When I ordered my 450 a few years back I ordered a 20 but got sent a 16. Decided to keep it and I am well pleased with it. 16 makes it very handy to carry and it shoots great. The 450 for me has been awesome, it's a DRT hammer on hogs!

I bought the 16 inch bartz upper. Love it! Super accurate and mild recoil. Once I get through deer season I will start loading for it. Shot it indoors at work into my bullet trap. It was obvious why it's called thumper. I also have it seriously overscoped. At a later date it will wear a 1-4 power vortex.

I have a 16" Bushy upper and ran it with an Ace arfx stock and the recoils wasn't hardly noticed. I swapped the stock to a 6 pos carbine and it is not as pleasant to shoot! I will be swapping back to the Ace and a rifle buffer very soon. It is very accurate and fun to shoot, I could still hit a 10" frying pan at 350 yds with 1.5-4 power scope so I don't see the need for the longer barrel myself. I am sure you will be pleased either way
L

I agree if you can shoot a 20 ga. shotgun then the 450 is not a problem.I have been using a Sims slip on pad when I have a hard kicking gun.I put the slip on pad on my t/c Encore muzzleloader and my 45/70 Marlin with great results.

Back