375 Socom

yotehunter243

Was in the local gun store the other day and they have 375 SOCOM uppers in there. Since here in indiana we are limited to a max case length of 1.8" people have come up with alot of ideas. Has anyone seen or shot this round? They claim 2200 fps with a 200 gr Sierra. But the 375 bullet selection is very very limited for low velocity chambers.

Um... Check out the diameter of an expanded 243win 6mm slug to a non-expanded .375" slug... You won't worry about expansion velocity issues anymore...

Seriously though, hit them with a big dia bullet and they'll go down.

Not sure if you only want an AR In. Legal upper but if your open to a bolt gun take a look at the 358 Grant.

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorUm... Check out the diameter of an expanded 243win 6mm slug to a non-expanded .375" slug... You won't worry about expansion velocity issues anymore...

Seriously though, hit them with a big dia bullet and they'll go down.

I'm not so much worried about the hole size but if a bullet didn't expand any the it would be releasing any of it energy inside the target would it. Iv shot coyotes with FMJ out of a SKS and they don't even Flinch and run off.

Originally Posted By: Kino MNot sure if you only want an AR In. Legal upper but if your open to a bolt gun take a look at the 358 Grant.

I have a bushmaster in the works now from Ritch Johnson but also am considering getting a Hoosier. Iv been strictly archery and blackpowder for 20 years now and as much as I enjoy rifles I figured if venture outside my norm

A big blunt .375" at impact is a bit different than a 30cal spitzer.

I've hit coyotes with 44mag, 454's, .458Soc's, and 45-70's that didn't open/mushroom at all - they go down like a ton of bricks.

There isn't a big difference in a .308 diameter bullet to a .375 (.067). When you jump to the socom and 45-70 that you mention from a .308 (.105) that's a big difference. The .375 class bullets that would be suitable for the socom case are all spitzer bullets. I wouldn't want to be shooting the 350-375 gr flatnose dangerous game bullets out of the small socom case for deer

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Was in the local gun store the other day and they have 375 SOCOM uppers in there. Since here in indiana we are limited to a max case length of 1.8" people have come up with alot of ideas. Has anyone seen or shot this round? They claim 2200 fps with a 200 gr Sierra. But the 375 bullet selection is very very limited for low velocity chambers.

These numbers are the same as the 375 Winchester lever gun they called it a 375 big bore I have one.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243There isn't a big difference in a .308 diameter bullet to a .375 (.067). When you jump to the socom and 45-70 that you mention from a .308 (.105) that's a big difference. The .375 class bullets that would be suitable for the socom case are all spitzer bullets. I wouldn't want to be shooting the 350-375 gr flatnose dangerous game bullets out of the small socom case for deer

Some of us have actually done this kinda thing before.

Here's a different twist for you, argue your way out of this by simplifying it down to one variable...

.357mag 180grn hard cast LFP's running 1400fps out of a revolver or 1700fps out of a leveraction rifle will knock down deer to 200-250yrds if you can place them well at that range. Been there, done that, ate the venison (they don't give T-shirts for deer hunting).

.375 Socom running 2200fps with a 200grn pill has larger diameter, more bullet weight, and greater velocity...

Big bullets moving slow will kill things. It's a different paradigm to consider for guys that are used to shooting lightweight laser cartridges, but it's proven.

Plus there are jacketed pills designed for the 38-55 that you can swage down the 2 thousandths you need to get them into .375" bores. I swage .358" down for 357's and used to swage .458" bullets down to .452" for 450 Bushmaster. It's a single step process for such a little swage.

And there ARE expanders that will open at .375Socom speeds, remnants of the .375Win legacy. Even some of the "sturdy built" bullets will expand at that speed, like the TTSX or the Partition or A-Frame will expand - their deep penetrating properties are driven by solid cores or partitions, not necessarily excessively hard/thick points.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Just because a shop has 375 Socom uppers doesn't mean you have to buy one. I'd be shooting a .45-70 levergun or a 458Socom if I were limited like you are - which I shoot those for deer already NOT being so limited. You asked for opinions on it, if you don't really want them, then don't ask.

Last edited:
I just received my 375 Socom barrel and all the necessary parts, except my handguard, to build it last week. I'm just waiting on my Geissele rail to show up so I can put the whole thing together. This is going to be a fun cartridge to tinker with, in my opinion. I am a 458 Socom addict and have a lot of Socom brass, so when Tony announced all the parts were ready to ship, I had to have one. I spent the last few days forming my 375 Socom cases and have some load ladders ready to shoot. I've loaded Sierra 200 gr. FP bullets that I expect to get around 2300-2400 fps out of and some Barnes 235 gr.TSX bullets loaded that should be in the 1900 fps range using Alliant AR COMP powder. The Sierra bullet should make and excellent hunting load but I'm certain I won't be able to push the Barnes fast enough for any expansion. As long as it makes tiny little groups in paper, it will have done all I want it to do.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Keep us updated on it. What part of Indiana are you from? I'm on the southwest side

yotehunter243: My rail was delivered today so I'm building the rifle tonight. I'll shoot it this weekend. I'm from the north central Indiana area.

Last edited:
What's a barrel, bolt, and dies running now? I saw a "turn key cost" of $1000 or so in the linked thread - seems like a big pill to swallow just for a custom barrel and dies.

Back