Time For A New AR

LUCKYDOG

I have a DPMs Sweet 16 with a Burris 6.5-20x50 scope that shoots lights out. I use it for plinking, prairie dogs and coyote hunting. It's a great rifle but it has a heavy barrel and the wrong scope for combat. The new AR is for SHTF only.

I'm looking for an AR 15 in 223/5.56 that would be close the M-16 I carried 35 years ago in the Army but I don't even remember the barrel length. After purchasing a couple of Smith and Wesson M&P's pistols, I have fell in love with that platform so I may be leaning that way. I just want a good, reliable AR that would be used for SHTF scenario only. It must have a forward assist.

My eyes aren't what they used to be, so I'm not sure if I should get open sights, red dot or whatever.

If I'm lucky this will probably be just another safe queen that makes it to the range every now and then but I want one just in case.

Need some suggestions please. Especially on the sight, barrel length and butt stock. Money is not a real issue but I don't want to go nuts. Thanks!

Your options for the rifle itself are almost endless. I like Rock River Arms products myself. That said they are made locally. As far as sights, if your shots are going to be fairly short range, say out to 100 or 150 yards, give a red dot a try. For the money the Vortex SPARC II is very hard to beat. A flip to the side magnifier can be had fairly inexpensively also.

I can't post it due to work computer hating any firearm site , but why not this

FN Announces FN-15 Military Collector Series - The Firearm ...

www.thefirearmblog.com/.../fn-announces-fn-15-military-collector-serie...

Apr 15, 2015 - Fabrique Nationale has announced AR-15 rifles replicating in ... will be making their first appearance on the FNH USA Booth #2324 at the 2015 .... that is what the US army is in the process of retrofitting all their M4's with it.

BCM BFH 16" Mid-length with a pinned on A2 front sight base.

As far as optics either an Aimpoint red dot or a variable power 1-4x24 scope. I would recommed trying both of those options before purchasing one or the other.

Edit: And of course with back up irons.

BCM USA

And if $$$ isn't an object the BCM MK12 Mod 0.
thumbup1.gif

BCM Mark 12 Mod 0

Last edited:
If it's for SHTF get a real battle rifle. BCM.. Bravo Company Mfg.
Foxpro.223 has great suggestions.

Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and others are fine for varmints and plinking but not when your life depends on it.

Originally Posted By: velvetantRock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and others are fine for varmints and plinking but not when your life depends on it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: velvetantRock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and others are fine for varmints and plinking but not when your life depends on it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I agree. that's about the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site. Just sayin. nuff said!

I would think in that time frame the A2 with the 20" Govt profile barrel was probably it ? If so it is readily available or easily built.
ETA if your eyes are an issue you may want to consider a flat top upper receiver with a detachable carry handle which will allow you to go either way.

Last edited:
I had the Smith & Wesson 15T, I think that was the model. Then I bought the Remington R15 Carbine. After shooting the Remington I sold the Smith and had money leftover and ended up with a much better AR. If I was buying one for only tactical reasons as an everyday operator I would look at Noveske(spelling?) or PWS. But for hunting and target I amm very happy with the R15 from Remington.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunterOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: velvetantRock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and others are fine for varmints and plinking but not when your life depends on it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I agree. that's about the stupidest thing I have ever read on this site. Just sayin. nuff said!
Go take some carbine classes and watch what brands fail first then come back and tell me how stupid it was.

35 years ago you would have had a 20 inch barrel. Today your options are endless for barrel length, along with good brands of rifles to pick from. I have a 16" barreled colt 6920 upper I've run hard without any issues. Every time I take that one out all the oil on the barrel gets turned into smoke. If it's for SHTF I wouldn't be going looking for trouble so I would think most of the time it would be short range shots so I'd pick a 16 or possibly 18 inch barrel for the handiness. Red dots are nice for quick shooting but a low power variable scope could work well in that regard while also giving the option to increase the magnification for more precise shots and also could be used for scouting and you don't have to worry about a battery crapping out. Simple back up sights would be a must.

Originally Posted By: velvetantGo take some carbine classes and watch what brands fail first then come back and tell me how stupid it was.

So tell us.. Which parts fail?

Originally Posted By: velvetantOriginally Posted By: MotoHunterOriginally Posted By: VarminterrorOriginally Posted By: velvetantRock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and others are fine for varmints and plinking but not when your life depends on it.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Go take some carbine classes and watch what brands fail first then come back and tell me how stupid it was.

I have, twice, and there were more Rock Rivers than any other brand there including the two former Marine instructors. The only problem was the meltdown of a Delton poly lower, but everyone there was expecting that. You can't put up a valid argument against Rock River. I can't speak for the others, but have never witnessed a failure due to poor quality under very hard use. I have seen operator failure many times.

Originally Posted By: MotoHunter The only problem was the meltdown of a Delton poly lower, but everyone there was expecting that.

tell me more about that. when did delton start making poly lowers? and how does a lower get so hot it would melt?

I have seen first hand on new or low round count rifles:
2 RRA 2 stage hammers break.
Multiple extractors breaks on Bushmaster and DPMS.
2 gas keys loosen from not staked properly, 1 RRA, 1 Bushmaster
3 broken bolt lugs, 1 Bushmaster, 1 DPMS and 1 unknown from home build.
Have I seen failures on colt, BCM, larue? Yes I have. not often and they are high round count rifles with just normal wear.
I do agree on operator error being the biggest problem. lack of lube and/or maintenance, poor ammo and damaged mags being the biggest problems, but I don't hold that against any manufacturers rifle.

I'll not press any further to understand the narrow mind of this one, but I do note that the statements tie together very comically:

Originally Posted By: velvetantIf it's for SHTF get a real battle rifle. BCM... Bravo Company Mfg.
Foxpro.223 has great suggestions.

Rock River, Bushmaster, DPMS and others are fine for varmints and plinking but not when your life depends on it.

Originally Posted By: velvetantGo take some carbine classes and watch what brands fail first then come back and tell me how stupid it was.

I've taken a bunch of combat carbine classes, even spent a few years instructing the competition equivalent to 3-gunners - but never did my life become at risk during any CLASS. I'm quite happy with RRA, DPMS, and Bushmaster components, even if my life ever would depend upon them.

Last edited:
Back