Pick one, 6.5 creedmoor vs 260 remington

I just worked up a couple loads in a friends 260 Remington. It's a good round. But even with Lapua brass,, the rounds design flaws make it lacking compared to the 6.5 Creedmoor. . too much body taper , too shallow a shoulder and a tapered neck. Its a good round , but the Creed is better.
As to guys popping out primers when loading well over max loads. I don't think the brass can be blamed.

Originally Posted By: dkarreI have a 6.5 grendel I have built, but have not shot yet. I've been told that the 6.5 grendel is underwhelming compared to the 6.5 creedmoor, 260 and 6.5x47. Once work slows down, ( harvest is dragging out this year) I plan on doing some work with my grendel and seeing how it performs out of my 18" BHW barrel. I guess I'm just second guessing myself on if I short changed myself or not

Thats like saying the .223 is underwhelming compared to the 22-250.... Duh! It's a completely different class of cartridge. But the creedmoor won't fit in a AR15 frame so the Grendel is as good as it gets, and has been getting the job done for me with ZERO issues.

Originally Posted By: MudcatOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: MudcatIf you reload there is better and more options for 260 brass. The 6.5c brass seems to be hit or miss in quality. I have a shooting partner we both have Ruger Precision rifles his in 6.5c and mine in 243. He was blowing primers on the 3rd firing of his Hornady brass. I do believe Nosler may be making 6.5 brass but we haven't been able to find it. Otherwise you are stuck with Hornady brass.
Both of us plan to rebarrel to 6.5x47L over the winter.

I have 7 loadings on my Hornady creedmoor brass with no failures or signs of stress. Primer pockets are still tight. There is nothing wrong with the Hornady brass as far as I am concerned.

I'm happy for you and getting 7 loadings. I saw primers of 12 rounds blow out on the 3rd loading. We 42.5grn of H4350 and the 140 Amax is what he is loading not sure on primers but most likely 210m.im running H4350 at 42 grn and a 105 Amax in my .243 with Winchester brass annealing every other time. I could care less about Hornady brass to be honest. I've used it before in .308 and had good luck with it. I'm just saying what I saw on the range with a regular shooting buddy. Other guys shooting our matches said similar when loading hot. I guess next time we shoot together if it happens I will take a couple pics for those that thinks it never could happen. But to be honest I really don't care.

So Mudcat just how far above book.loads should we all be loading and NOT EXPECT BLOWN PRIMERS FROM ANY BRAND OF BRASS.

This is a ridiculous argument against any brand of. brass.

Originally Posted By: Robinhood21Wow that's awesome!
Great shooting!

Robinhood ; thank you! . When I got my black bear this fall I still had the Creed set up for long range. Now that it's set up as a hunting carbine I'm going to try t get a spring black bear with it. I'll use the 130 gr TSX load.

I hope no one thinks I don't like the 260. I do and like others I wanted one for a long time. But now that I'vebeen shooting the 6.5 Creedmoor for almost 3 years. I'm very glad I got it instead of the 260.

Since I'm on a roll, I'll keep going.
When I got my Creed. Most components were unavailable for most any popular round. However, the 6.5 Creedmoor hadn't gained a lot of popularity up here yet . I had a couple boxes of Hornady, brass but wanted more brass. I picked up some Winchester 22/250 brass. Primed them. Dumped in 18 gr of Unique. Put 1 cc of corn cob media on top of the powder and stuffed a piece of paper towel in the neck. . Fireformed them and had beautiful 6.5 Creedmoor brass. I did the same with several boxes of 250 Savage brass. . No doughnut, no neck turning required it shoots great also. I also resized a bag of 260 Remington brass for it. That was more of a pain [beeep] as it had to be trimmed.

Originally Posted By: gumboot458Originally Posted By: MudcatOriginally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: MudcatIf you reload there is better and more options for 260 brass. The 6.5c brass seems to be hit or miss in quality. I have a shooting partner we both have Ruger Precision rifles his in 6.5c and mine in 243. He was blowing primers on the 3rd firing of his Hornady brass. I do believe Nosler may be making 6.5 brass but we haven't been able to find it. Otherwise you are stuck with Hornady brass.
Both of us plan to rebarrel to 6.5x47L over the winter.

I have 7 loadings on my Hornady creedmoor brass with no failures or signs of stress. Primer pockets are still tight. There is nothing wrong with the Hornady brass as far as I am concerned.

I'm happy for you and getting 7 loadings. I saw primers of 12 rounds blow out on the 3rd loading. We 42.5grn of H4350 and the 140 Amax is what he is loading not sure on primers but most likely 210m.im running H4350 at 42 grn and a 105 Amax in my .243 with Winchester brass annealing every other time. I could care less about Hornady brass to be honest. I've used it before in .308 and had good luck with it. I'm just saying what I saw on the range with a regular shooting buddy. Other guys shooting our matches said similar when loading hot. I guess next time we shoot together if it happens I will take a couple pics for those that thinks it never could happen. But to be honest I really don't care.

So Mudcat just how far above book.loads should we all be loading and NOT EXPECT BLOWN PRIMERS FROM ANY BRAND OF BRASS.

This is a ridiculous argument against any brand of. brass.

Beats me how far he will go. I usually go up until I see pressure signs or get what I am looking for. I'm not so much a speed freak on my rifles. I'm getting 3035fps with 42 and I am happy with that. My manuals range in a charge of 39-41.5 as listed loads for my powder and bullet combo which one is correct? There is a guy with the same rifle and bullet combo as me that is using Reloader 26 and getting 3350fps. I'm not that crazy. But he shows no pressure signs on his brass.

Like I said earlier I don't care one way or the other. Just stating what I have seen. At our local matches it seems as though there is usually a guy with a blown primer during the day and it will 8 out of 10 times be someone running a 6C or 6.5C and Hornady brass. Yes you can make Creedmoor brass out of .308 and other brass but it is a step in the process some or actually most don't mind to tinker with their brass but others don't have the time.

I'm going to go try to kill some dogs in this awful wind on my day off.

Have a great day sir.

Back