Headlamp to kill light

jonrobla

I have a question about night hunting with lights. I use a headlamp and gun light It's worked really good exept im curious what other people do when they turn the kill light on cause you have to shine onto your gun and give your position away when you put your head down to the scope and sometimes shine into the scope and have a hard time finding the predator quick?

I keep mine angled just to the right on my head. If it happens quick, I don't worry about it and turn kill light on, shoulder and shoot. If I have time, I wait for it to get in to range, flip my head lamp up, kill light on, shoulder and shoot.

I keep my gun light positioned at about 11:00 on the scope and because I'm using a halo shield on my headlamp there is no or very little light reflection off of my equipment. Using a halo shield on the gun light will also help reduce or eliminate light reflecting back into the scope.

jonrobla,

I agree with both statements above, but I personally us a combination of the two. I have my scope light slightly clocked counter clockwise(somewhere between 10 & 11 o'clock) and then I have my headlamp clocked slightly clockwise between (12 and 1 o'clock).
I also use Silent "Halo Shields" on every light I use. The Silent "Halo Shields" will help to eliminate any excess light "halo" that is causing the issues you are dealing with.

I too will turn my headlamp off if I have time after the critter is in the shooting light(never shut off the headlamp before turning on the shooting light). If it is a hard charger then I just leave the headlamp on and the combination that I use cause minimal problems if any.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you have at jeremiah@boondockoutdoors.com

Also I have commercial halo shields for just about any light on the market or I can custom make them if I do not currently make one for minimal investment.
all my current models can be viewed at www.shop.boondock-outdoors.com

Thanks guys im going to check out the silent halo shield I have a night eyes head lamp I did recently loose the shield on it. Is it something you can make for it? I'm using a wicked 402z also and just got the conversion kit for the rehiestat to dim it.

jonrobla,

I make a production model shield for the W402 and I can custom make a shield for any light if need be. If I were you I would take joe up on his offer, but if you want a custom length or anything else I can do that for you.

Back