Savage model 11 223 issue

shelton573

Hello everyone,
I bought a savage model 11 TH XP in 223 about a month ago. Just got around to really shooting it and nearly every time I try to feed the 3rd shell, the bolt rides over the top no matter how many time I try it. I have to put slight pressure on the bottom of the mag to get it to feed. It just doesn't make sense that it will feed rounds 1,2,4,5 but not the third. Just curious if anyone had this problem. I don't want to return it at the moment because I am going on a coyote hunt in MO and want it as my back up to my 22-250 also as a light carry gun when in the hills. I am hoping its something simple so I don't have to send it back at all. This is the second mag I have tried. Any input is much appreciated!

Shelton

YEP!!! I have friend that just bought one and I have the same problem except that it wont feed the first round unless I push up on the bottom of the magazine. Seeing how they use the same magazine as their Axis rifles and figured that maybe it was just a bad magazine, I tried the mag out of my Axis. Same problem. There is something wrong with the Magazine well. I called Savage and they want it back to look at. This is the second recent Savage that I have seen problems with. I saw another one in 223 (stevens) that absolutley would not feed ANY HP round correctly. I sure hope the quality control isn't starting to slip with them. I would send it back and make them make it right.

We just bought one for my sons birthday the middle of November. That evening we took it out to shoot and had the same problem. Usually the third round would not get picked up, sometimes it was the fist or second also. Tried a new magazine and that did not work. The next day had to take it back to Sportsmans Warehouse, they shipped it off to get fixed. I called Savage on Friday, they said they replaced the magazine well or something ( can't remember exactly right now) and it was now fixed. It's supposed to be shipped back to us today, I hope it's fixed when we get it. I'll check back in when we get the verdict and let you know what they fixed and if it works.

Thanks for the input guys and sorry to hear you are having the same problem. I figured it was the ledge that the small clip on the back of the mag hooks onto but didn't want to tamper with it. I figured I would let them do that after the first of the year. The first mag I had in it would not even pick up one shell and I hadnt even took it out to shoot yet. I started google solutions and stumbled upon a picture of what the mag is SUPPOSED to look like. Turns out the clip that hangs onto the back of the mag well was broke off. Not sure if I caused it or it came from the factory like that.

Is the stock on you guys guns the new one with the different checker patterning? That's what mine it, which was not what selected at scheels but by the time I got home and pulled it out of the box and realized they gave me one with the new stock. Just curious if it might be the new stock only that is having these problems. If you don't care, keep me posted on what you all find out about yours. Thanks again!

To tell you the truth, I don't really remember what the stock looks like, other than it was the black synthetic. That is one of the hardest things about this, we only had it for a day and a half before having to send it back. I know we really liked the accu-trigger. All our rifles have only had the stock triggers, I didn't realize what we were missing. As a matter of fact, I just bought and installed a Geissele SSA-E in my predator AR because of that. Hehe

Hopefully it'll make it here some time this week. I'll keep you posted on what they did to it, and if it is really fixed. This is our first Savage, and the first rifle (out of many other brands) we have ever had to send back, but I've heard a lot of good things about them. Wish me luck

Man I hope they made it right for you. If it didn't shoot so good I would be irate, but it shoots awesome even using ultramax ammo so I really want it to feed great too. I will be waiting to hear how it goes for you. Thanks!

Shelton

Mine was doing the same thing. dont push the shells all the way back in the clip and they will load just fine at first. after using it for a while then you can push them all the way back and they will feed without any problems. this worked for me.

Thanks for the reply! I will have to give that a try for now! Is that possibly from the mag lips not being far enough apart maybe??? I'll give it a try over the next two weeks since I will hopefully be running quite a few rounds through it.

Shelton

I have an 11 vt...ive only fired 5rds out of it...but i had no issues at all. Shot excellent though, bitting bullseye by 3rd shot. Its for sale in classifieds with alot of ammo
smile.gif

Well thanks for rubbing the no problems thing in my face haha. I appreciate the offer but I bought the light one for back up to my 250 (very heavy!) and a lightweight rig for snow and hills! That is a sharp gun ya got there though! I sure wont hesitate to send someone you way if I hear of them looking for a 223!

Shelton

Actually dont think the rifle is that heavy, but i am a big guy. 6'4" 220lbs. I carried it twice last week and weight of it got to me alot less than my benelli super nova i use for squirrels.

I have a model 11 is 223 and a model 16 in 22-250. Both guns had feeding issues. After trying to run shells through them a few times we determined it was an issue with the mag. Degreased chamber, bolt and mag. Then used a needle nose on shell stop of the mag, bent it slightly away from mag. Ran shells through and adjusted slightly and this has solved my issues for over a year.

I have the same problem with my axis. I guess it doesn't bother me that much. I realize how much I paid for the rifle ...... Then I think of how well it shoots. Weigh the 2 out and am pleased with the rifle none the less. Couple thousand rounds and a ton of dead prairie dogs later...... I will buy another one when I shoot the barrel out of this one

My axis worked well as long as the mag was seated all the way in. Same with my 10. Only savage problem I had was with a 93.

Originally Posted By: josebdSo did savage get it to feed?

I never sent it in. I ran out of time so I took a piece of sticky foam and put it on the mag well lip on the back and not the mag holds solid. Looks like I ran out of time this year before my hunting trip so it will either get sent back next year or get new hardware and a boyds stock next year. Are you having the same issue?

Back