Ar build questions?

zr600

Ok im going to build an ar upper and was thinking about having ritch do it im doing an 6.8x6 now would it be just as accurate if i got just a barrel from him and had my buddy build the upper for me he has built quit a few uppers. Or am i better off to just have ritch do it?

AR rifles are pretty much all in the barrel and trigger in my mind. But from Ritch it sounds like you always get a product that runs well and can be relied upon. Not sure why you just wouldn't do it yourself though if RPG doesn't do it. The upper is the easy part of an ar15 build. But if you can't change your own truck oil, I wouldn't recommend building the upper.

Ok well i can be pretty mechnical rebuilt atv lawn tractor engines worked on trucks lift kits and stuff plus i have a buddy that builds ars all the time that would help me he loves doing it.

Go watch a YouTube video, and then you will know if you can handle it. Go for it. If he's a good buddy he prolly wants to help you anyway. I doubt you will have any trouble. I like adjustable gas blocks on mine now. Either BTE or I may try the Anderson one that has 20 detents kinda like the syrac. But it's like half the price I think

Originally Posted By: zr600Ok well i can be pretty mechnical rebuilt atv lawn tractor engines worked on trucks lift kits and stuff plus i have a buddy that builds ars all the time that would help me he loves doing it.

Nothing wrong with DIY projects on the AR set up. Ritch does nuances like squaring the receiver and some parts mating that many of us would pass up for lack of tooling or knowledge. He also tests fires them to make sure they run. Not a bad idea as some combinations can be a bit hard to figure out requiring a bit of bolt part polish/grinding.

If you do decide to work with your buddy give Ritch a call and he can get you hooked up at a bit better price than you can order it for plus expedited delivery.

Greg

Youtube is your best friend. A lot of great vids and techniques there. Only need a few tool. Great satisfaction in DIY. You can do it!

Anyone can build an AR-15. Not everybody can build a smooth running and straight shooting AR-15.

I can put a complete AR-15 together in about an hour from parts - but that doesn't mean it'll actually run properly. I spend a minimum of 10hrs, usually 15-20hrs fitting and tuning when I actually build one - and professional, full time, custom build guys like Ritch Johnson or Mike Milli end up with a better product than I can produce, simply because they have even more equipment than I do.

But to answer your question:

Originally Posted By: zr600[W]ould it be just as accurate if i got just a barrel from him and had my buddy build the upper for me[?]

Most likely, Ritch would produce a more accurate product. Now - that assumes that you're a proficient enough shooter to capitalize upon that difference. If you're not capable of shooting better than 1-1.5MOA, then it won't matter whether the rifle is 1/4MOA capable or 3/4MOA, you won't be able to coax it to do anything better. Blackhole barrels shoot great, and a trued receiver and matched bolt with a blackhole barrel will shoot even better. In general, self builders without a machine lathe and a selection of bolts to choose from can get within about 80% of proper builders, at best.

Nothing wrong with building it yourself, but don't be fooled into thinking that you'll be able to match their products after "building lots of AR's" - Lots is a relative term, I've built over a hundred of them, and used to true everything on a machine lathe when I had access to one, even at that, I can't keep up with a guy that does it full time as his livelihood.

This is a target from a bolt action 264 win mag Ritch has built for me. He has built me over a dozen uppers and they all shoot under 3/4 MOA and have all shot any ammo I fed them

Back