AR Lubrication !

Goe Blow

I have found Hornady one shot lube and cleaner to be very good at not collecting all the powder residue and dirt collection as with standard lubes. Any one else notice this?

Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner & Lube

I've never used their case lube, but I do have a couple cans of it that came free with their Ultra Sonic case cleaner solution.

There was a recent thread/blog post that matched a bunch of different lube/protectant products head to head in a series of semi-scientific tests. I started using Frog Lube almost exclusively a couple years ago, and have mottled with the Hornady stuff off and on - completely had displaced Hoppe's 9, Rem Oil, and G96 that I had used for a long time. The test results confirmed my experiences and some of my suspicions, so for the meantime, other than cheaper synthetic motor oil, I know what two products I'll be using.

After seeing that test, I use Frog lube, the oil and paste.. I have noticed a difference, and won't be going back.

The one shot case lube, is the only one that i do use.. So far since changing to it, i have yet to get a stuck case, after hundreds and hundreds of cases. (lucky i guess)

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZAfter seeing that test, I use Frog lube, the oil and paste.. I have noticed a difference, and won't be going back.

The one shot case lube, is the only one that i do use.. So far since changing to it, i have yet to get a stuck case, after hundreds and hundreds of cases. (lucky i guess)
for case lube i use lanolin alcohol home made stuff but im talking a diff product its the one shot gun cleaner and lube.My previous gun lube was froggy but ive replaced it with the hornady cleaner lube my ar stays much cleaner with the dirty powder i use....

Last edited:
I have been using 2 cycle engine oil on my AR. An old guy recommended it, he said the 2 cycle oil was meant to break down carbon build up. Makes sense to me, I haven't been doing a side by side comparison but my action really only needs to be wiped out and it's clean, seems to work.

....no temperature extremes in that test.

Low temp? Maybe 30F or 0 F? High/higher temps? 90+F?

That gent worked his butt off in conducting all of that testing though.

I "rough clean" with the hornady one-shot & just spray out all the sand/debris, although I don't use it for lubrication purposes, cleaning only. It's a dry lube so once that dries iteself i'll wipe it down and apply a healthy amount of machine gunners lube to the BCG and inside the upper. Best stuff i've come across.

If it's caked on i'll do the same except scrub with hoppes#9 first to break everything up, then blast it out/dry it with the hornady one shot.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiI "rough clean" with the hornady one-shot & just spray out all the sand/debris, although I don't use it for lubrication purposes, cleaning only. It's a dry lube so once that dries iteself i'll wipe it down and apply a healthy amount of machine gunners lube to the BCG and inside the upper. Best stuff i've come across.

If it's caked on i'll do the same except scrub with hoppes#9 first to break everything up, then blast it out/dry it with the hornady one shot. actually its not a dry lube

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI have been using 2 cycle engine oil on my AR. An old guy recommended it, he said the 2 cycle oil was meant to break down carbon build up. Makes sense to me, I haven't been doing a side by side comparison but my action really only needs to be wiped out and it's clean, seems to work.
I may try that on the high carbon areas as it seems froglube and one shot fail to keep carbon from forming they may well be reducing it but its still present...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiI "rough clean" with the hornady one-shot & just spray out all the sand/debris, although I don't use it for lubrication purposes, cleaning only. It's a dry lube so once that dries iteself i'll wipe it down and apply a healthy amount of machine gunners lube to the BCG and inside the upper. Best stuff i've come across.

If it's caked on i'll do the same except scrub with hoppes#9 first to break everything up, then blast it out/dry it with the hornady one shot. I use gumout carb and choke cleaner works faster and drys really fast but one problem that might be with it is non metal surfaces may be extremely affected !

Last edited:
Back