204 Ruger build: what barrel and twist

coues7

Don't know why but I'm drawn to the 35 and above grain bullets. What barrel brand and twist do you all recommend? Predominantly coyotes and prairie dogs. Likely get a 20"

My buddy is building one with a Shilen barrel. I believe it's a 20" barrel that's threaded. I'll report back after he gets it out together.

Originally Posted By: coues7Don't know why but I'm drawn to the 35 and above grain bullets. What barrel brand and twist do you all recommend? Predominantly coyotes and prairie dogs. Likely get a 20"

Black Hole and a 1:10 twist.

Greg

I have a 9 twist 24" shilen and it shoots great. But I saw the velocity on the 20" barrels and will likely go with a 20" Blackhole weaponry standard profile barrel. It's a nice compromise for a carry rifle in an ar15 setup. I have that profile on a 6x6.8 bhw. I always lean toward the fastest twists on my barrels now. Never know what grain bullet you may end up choosing. Or those Excalibur barrels have caught my attention lately, so I've been wanting to try one of those also. Always something, but a 10 twist is the slowest I'd go in a 204

Standard contour barrel-BHW 22" 1-9. Custom contour-Hart, 22" 1-9". With a 9 twist, you can shoot heavier bullets if you want to. Nice to have the option.

Well I went with a 22 inch Kreiger barrel and a 1-10 twist. Haven't had a chance to wring it out yet. It isn't the cheapest way to go as Kreiger dosnt contour the 204 I had white oak do it.

Back