AR Components

AKarshooter

I am fairly new to the AR platform, never had much interest in it until recently and you could say I have acquired a bug. I now have 3 rifles based on it the normal 16 inch 5.56, a 22 inch .204, a 20 inch 25-45 Sharps and am building a .260 Rem.
The unusual part to me is although all 3 are AR platform the only similar part on each is Vltor Stocks. Barrels, Carrier, Uppers, Lowers, Triggers, Hand Guards, Gas Plug all are different but in my opinion quality.
I tend to believe that I am not alone in this, do any of you out there build your AR's utilizing the same components time and time again?

I built many of my personal AR's with a lot different purposes in mind over the years, which I USED TO THINK dictated a demand for a lot of different parts, however, I eventually learned that there's one dominating common link for all of my rifles that dictates that they all should be relatively similar - the same shooter.

So the same stock that fits my arm and neck length and face best on one rifle will always fit me best on another rifle too. The same grip that fits my hand best on one rifle will always fit me best on all rifles, the same forend length and shape that fits my hand and arm length for stability best on one rifle will fit me best on all rifles. And since I shoot left handed about half of the time, I need ambidextrous functional controls - and unifying those to a common component helps my muscle memory.

Sure, variety is the spice of life, and certain conditions dictate changes - i.e. a G3 (glassed gas gun) bench gun benefits from a different stock than a coyote hunting rifle or 3 Gun rifle - but for their purposes, I only need one "best" to do the job.

BUT... I've tried EVERYTHING, and continue to test drive EVERYTHING that comes out, so I know what works best for me. If something new comes out that knocks my former "best" off of its pedestal, I end up spending a lot of money swapping all of my kit to that new product. If you haven't found which components work best for you, then keep looking.

Back