AR Choice ?My First AR 15 Thoughts on the mmr?

Rusty Black

Guys in in the market....there's some many out there....I have my eye on a mossberg mmr in 223/5.56 tactical....I want the quad rail for my lights etc....and I like the adjustable mogul stock...and ,I want to put a scope on it with lighted reticials...I'll be predator hunting with it...it's my first and I'd like to keep it under $1500....what's your thoughts on this ar....Thanks Rusty

If you're looking to keep under $1500, you can shop uppers from RRA, or the sponsors on here. Lowers can be had for as little as $180. Should have enough for a quality Nikon of Vortex scope.

If the rifle is for training or home defense your accessories make sense. If it's for hunting, think about streamlining it - less drag/more simple.

I just bought an AR and I wouldn't ever go back. I bought the Daniel Defense ddm4v5 it's great. Daniel defense is known for their tails and overall great products. I picked mine up with magpul furniture and nice glass for 1200. In my opinion Daniel defense is just as good or better than Colt. It's a top tier AR manufacturer. Go take a look at their site, or at your local shop!

$1500 to include optics, or $1500 on the rifle?

Neither is difficult, but if you're building a $1000 rifle with $500 optics, you'll get something different than if you're building a $1500 rifle, optics cost not included.

I bought a Mossberg MMR (hunter model) last year for $800 on sale.

Fantastic rifle after I redid the trigger. Out of the box it had the worst trigger of any rifle I had ever shot, period. Reduced pull springs and a travel set grip screw, with a nice strategic polishing brought it down to 3.8 pounds average and got rid of the nasty creep and "grind".

It's an honest 1 inch rifle and can consistently produce .9x 100 yard groups. This is real 5 shot groups.

Grouse

I own 2 MMR AR15 hunters. I replaced the triggers w/3lb timneys and that's it, both are accurate, both were under $800 3+ yrs ago.
1 is my dedicated night rig, the other just a day gun.
Both shoot under 3/4" at 100yds w/my hand loads, both have drooped coyotes at 400+ yards.

This is my new "first" AR.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/i...04762?a=1817604
It has a 2 stage match trigger, no need to change.
I did an enormous amount of research before this purchase cause I did not want to have to upgrade anything.
This is my scope. Ive been wanting a digital scope for years. I like reviewing the shot.
http://www.amazon.com/ATN-X-Sight-Riflescope-Stabilization-Android/dp/B00I6PAOLQ
Both including S&H is under $1500. This scope isn't for everyone. Die-hard "PRO" predator hunters might prefer something more efficient and practical.
The night capability is great.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ATNXSightUsers/
DEF

Last edited:
AR's are so cheap right now that I would look at other brands. A local shop here has S&W AR's for $525. Nothing wrong with a Mossberg, chances are they are made out of the same parts as every other AR on the market. But name recognition is big when it comes to resale and the Mossberg will get hurt there.

For that budget, you can get into a Daniel Defense, and they are hands down one of the best on the market. They have THE best barrels out there imho.

Back