Chronograph

zr600

Im looking at getting a chronograph and was wanting some input from you guys on what works and what doesnt. I was thinking about getting the caldwell premium kit comes with a tripod and light kit and sun shades plus a free app for phone. Does anyone know anything about this, or have any other chronograph input for me.

Originally Posted By: zr600Im looking at getting a chronograph and was wanting some input from you guys on what works and what doesnt. I was thinking about getting the caldwell premium kit comes with a tripod and light kit and sun shades plus a free app for phone. Does anyone know anything about this, or have any other chronograph input for me.

I've had and been around quite a few different ones and though they certainly aren't the cheapest, hands down, I'd get the Magnetospeed. They have a new one out called their "Sporter" model, it still works just as well as their more expensive units.

I've got the original Magnetospeed model from when they first came out and it's been shot inline with two different Oehler 35's, which is one of the best optical chronographs available, and they both gave nearly identical results.

The Magnetospeed chronographs are not only extremely accurate but they are easily the easiest units you'll ever use and because they aren't an optical type unit, they can be used in any weather condition/s and even shot in complete darkness.

I also got the V1 when they first came out, and NEVER regretted
it. I believe the Sporter model is pretty close to the V1. Not
only does one have no worries about lighting, it's a much
easier set up than the traditional chrono's, and no need to
worry about stopping people from shooting on the firing line
while setting it up. I've only compared speeds with the Chrony
and Pro-chrono, but they were nearly the same. If there was a
negative that could be said, some say POI is higher with it on
the barrel than when it is off. I don't see much difference at
all....probably depends on the caliber or bullet weight as to
what effect it has on bullet flight. The new Sporter is
reasonably priced, too.

I recently bought a magnetospeed v3, it's simple to put on and operate. No need to worry about light conditions, shooting it or setting it up downrange. I would recommend it to anyone, I wish I bought it sooner. I don't have any experience with their sporter model.

I've used my Magnetospeed on everything from 17gr 17HMR to 300gr .338 Bergers and it has never missed a beat.

I even used mine to chronograph some my 17 WSM in my basement. Screwed on my TBAC suppressor, attached my Magnetospeed, stacked up some 4x4's in a big wood burning fireplace in the basement and turned the fan on so it was blowing everything up and out the stack. Chronographed ten rounds of 20gr 17WSM, put everything all away and went back upstairs to eat dinner. My wife asked me what I was doing downstairs, when I told her, she didn't believe me and I had to take her down and show her the 4x4 blocks I'd shot into. She couldn't believe I'd shot that many times and she didn't even notice.
smile.gif

FYI, ALWAYS make sure you clean ALL the old ashes out first or the muzzle blast will blow ash out the front. Ya, ask me how I know.
frown.gif

I bought the Caldwell (same one your looking at.)I've been around the an Oehler 35 at the range my friends unit.
I just wanted to get bullet speed as I was working up to max charge. Tested four guns in a week probably about 400 hundred rounds or so. Had one misread out of 400. Out of the box setup 5 minutes. Once setup rode in my truck. Setup at the range less then a minute,big enough readout I just wrote down velocities I my load book.
I'm going to mess with the app later. Never owned anything else but this sure is easy and quick to use.
Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: robsI bought the Caldwell (same one your looking at.)I've been around the an Oehler 35 at the range my friends unit.
I just wanted to get bullet speed as I was working up to max charge. Tested four guns in a week probably about 400 hundred rounds or so. Had one misread out of 400. Out of the box setup 5 minutes. Once setup rode in my truck. Setup at the range less then a minute,big enough readout I just wrote down velocities I my load book.
I'm going to mess with the app later. Never owned anything else but this sure is easy and quick to use.
Hope this helps.

That's funny...

Back