Mr. Itch, a double and a single

Snowshoes

The plan this morning was to walk into a spot where I would sit and watch the creek valley for any travelling coyotes. Almost an hour passes, and I’m thinking about leaving when I see a scruffy coyote come trotting out of the trees and into the open. It stops behind the only tree between us, sits down and goes into some serious scratching. Next it’s rolling in the grass and I can tell this coyote has a real itch issue but I still cant get a clear shot off due to the tree branches.
Finally after a few minutes the coyote walks south few yards giving me a clear shot. A 153 yard shot puts this guy out of its misery.

Walk over and take a picture and then head back to the truck which was parked by the windbreak of the landowners yard site. The landowner is just pulling out when he sees me and then comes over to chat. He tell me that he has seen a fair number of coyotes in his other pasture a mile and half west. We depart and I head west, park the truck and walk in almost a half mile towards a heavy treed ravine. Before getting to where I wanted to call from I see two coyotes coming across a stubble field heading towards the ravine. I squat down and let them make the trees before I continue my journey. I was fortune to see them before they spotted me. I sneak in as close as I dare and setup in front of a willow bush roughly a 100 yards from the south bank of the ravine. The wind is directly in my face and its wide open behind me, there is a few willow bushes between the ravine and where I sat but enough open areas for a shot if need be. Knowing that I likely had two coyotes fairly close I kept the e-caller with me and started off with some cottontail distress. It hadn’t played for 20 seconds and here comes two coyotes on the run, I set the caller down but never had time to shut the volume off. I bark a couple times and the pair come to a slow halt, pick one and drop it. Chamber another round and about to line up the runner when I see a third coyote standing only a few yards from the downed one. Running coyote or standing coyote, not much of a dilemma as I swung off the runner. The e-caller is still playing and my stationary coyote is now trotting closer to me, I bark which stops it and down it goes. Shut the caller off and will save this spot for a month or so down the road. Shots were roughly 70 and 60 yards.

Last edited:
Well done S.S. Love the pics and the detailed story of how you got it done. Looks like the yotes are nicely furred up already. Keep stacking them up and keep the posts coming.

Thank you guys, I did manage to add one more to the pile this afternoon.
I was thinking where I should go this afternoon and then remembered a spot 4 miles west of home where someone hit a deer on the hi-way. In the two days the deer had laid in the ditch, coyotes had pretty well devoured it. There is only one bush patch within a half mile of the deer carcass, so that’s where I head. Park the truck behind a hill and walk to a fence line that puts me within 225 yards of the bush patch. Knowing the coyote/s have been feasting on deer for the past couple days, I don’t bother with distress calling. Pull out my Cronk howler and start off with a couple howls, then wait. Switch it up with some yelps and wait…. Still nothing. Starting to think there’s no coyotes here but decide to give one last try with some challenge howls. No vocal responses but it did get two coyotes on the run towards my location. I pull the gun into position which stops the lead coyote, giving me time to get the cross hairs on my target, a 56 yard shot has that one down. Chamber another round but the other coyote is already back in the trees. Walk out to the coyote and see a cow moose and two calves walk out from the same bush patch.
I seem to be getting more coyote pairs coming to the “calls” this year…. Especially this early in the season. Not sure why but having two to choose from and the possibility of getting a double is never a bad thing…
smile.gif

Last edited:
Back