Big Country = Big Coyotes

Fursniper

I went predator calling for the first time this season on the north side of the Paria Canyon near the AZ/UT border with Joy N. Laughter (Screen Name). We saw 5 coyotes, called in 4, and got 3. Overall, we made 8 stands and tagged teamed a double on one of the stands.

Here is what the area looked like where we hunted. This photo is looking at a section of the Paria Canyon called "The Narrows." That hole in the ground is about 1000' deep. The right side of that hole is the north side of the Paria Canyon.

This photo is looking down at the Paria River where the canyon opens up. We did not see any bighorn sheep, but we did see lots of fresh tracks on the rim. This is also where California Condors have continued to be reintroduced since the late 1990's. There is no ban on lead ammo here and compliance of hunters to voluntarily use non-lead ammo or bury carcasses if they do has been over 90%.

This has been a wet year and the coyotes were in excellent condition. I am not sure what this male weighed, but I thought he was kinda big. Based on tooth wear I'm pretty sure it was only 2 years old. We watched him come in from 200 yards away, cross a wash, sneak up to the decoy, and then we blasted him with a shotgun at 30 yards out.

Things got a little western on the double. We tried calling an open sagebrush flat and coyotes came from everywhere. First coyote came from our right running in fast, would not stop, and was shot with the shotgun at 30 yards out. He stands up and starts running towards us, gets shot a second time, and growls as he hits the deck 10 feet away from Joy N. Laughter. A few minutes later, coyote number 2 comes in from the left, stops behind the bushes 40 yards out. He steps out and receives a face full of buckshot. Gets up and starts to hobble away staying out of sight in a wash. I chase after him with the shotgun. The coyote turns around, stops, and then starts barking at me really nasty. I shoot him again, run out of ammo, and he continues to hobble away. Joy N. Laughter then makes a standing 100 yard shot and dumps the coyote as it is running with her 243 rifle. Only 8 minutes into the stand and we tag team a double.

Here is a pic of all the coyotes we got. All of the coyotes were shot with lead ammo and the carcasses were buried to prevent them from being eaten by California Condors.

Good luck and good hunting everyone!

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, Fursniper! I grew up in Page and have hunted the area extensively. Those dogs look really healthy.

I love seeing pictures of the ladies getting it done out in the desert -- it's so good for the sport. Thanks for sharing.

Wow... wonderful story... Beautiful Country...WOW... any woman who can shoot a coyote like that with a 243 needs to be treated with a lot of love and respect.... and... a good dose of fear...LOL.

Great story and stunning country! I desperately need to take a trip to some open country like that. I love my mountains but 50 yard visibility in the timber is making me crazy. If you ever want to house swap a week or two let me know.

P.S. We also have plenty of sheep, these were taking a stroll down my road last week....

Back