And everyone says 700s are junk...

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunThere is no doubt in my mind that the pencil barreled Remmys shoot better with forend tip pressure. Or fully bedded........

Crap mine has neither.
wink.gif

All my Rems have shot with that forend pressure. I've never bedded or floated any of them come to think of it and I've had more then a few and still have the really good ones.

The only one I have had floated/bedded is my semi custom 338 EDGE which was recomended at time of build.

Most my rifles I dont do anythign to them except work the trigger down to 2# and start working up loads. I figure if I cant find a load for the rifle that will do 3/4 MOA then I'll start messing and playing with crap like bedding/floating etc, havne't had to do that with my 700s.

I've owned 4 Remington 700's, all with different results...

SPS Varmint in .223 - shot .5 MOA or better once the junk stock was replaced with a B&C

VLS in .243 - shot MOA maybe a little better but only found one factory load it really liked, never reloaded for it.

XCR Compact tactical .223 - worst shooting rifle I've ever owned. Couldn't shoot a 1.5" group to save its life.

LTR in .223 - shot OK, about MOA but was really disappointed in this rifle, expected a lot better accuracy out of it.

So it seems half the Remingtons I have owned I have been disappointed with. I'm sorry but if I'm going to spend $1000-1200 on a Rifle (XCR/LTR), I would expect it to shoot great even with factory ammo. I've owned 6 different savage rifles and they have never missed a beat, sub MOA right of the box every time with factory loads.

I really love the 700 action. I own a custom 700 in .223 now that is an absolute tack driver. But if I'm going to spend my money on a factory rifle, its not going to be a Remington.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: 2muchgunThere is no doubt in my mind that the pencil barreled Remmys shoot better with forend tip pressure. Or fully bedded........

Crap mine has neither.
wink.gif

That is not to say that none of them will shoot well free floated. They may start "walking" when they get hot, though. For hunting purposes, it's not an issue.

I did some experimenting on this in the past with a couple of model 7s. The one with the pressure pads stayed on target longer when it got hot. I even went so far as to run 60 rounds through it in 20 minutes. Guess what? POI never changed. This was all to prove a point to a guy who thought you needed a heavy barreled rifle for predator hunting and whistle pig poppin'.......

kyotekiller25, I have two rem stainless 700's in 243, brothers have another 4-6..can't remember exactly.

Our favorite load is 47g Of H 4350, win primer, bullet seated touch the lands, and I swear every rifle will shoot three shot groups less than .385.

Velocity is 3600 fps with the above load in 24" barrels.

There is something magic about the 4530, Win primers and the 70g bullets in rem 243's.

Funny you mention that. I was just about to PM you and pick your brain a bit...

I want to use H4350 as its an extreme powder, good velocity, good accuracy, goot lot to lot consistency. I also want to stick with either 70g NBT or 75g VMAX, probly just stick with the 70s though since I can get them in the 250 packs.

Anyways, I only had just a bit of H4350 left from my 338 WM. So I loaded 3 loads/3 shots each at 46.5, 47, 47.5 in Win cases, WLR primers, OAL of 2.710", 24" bbl, 100 yards, off a bench, no wind, as follows

46.5g-1.1" triangle group/3500fps
47g-.8", 2 touching, flyer opened it up to .8"/3550fps
47.5g-.8", 2 touching, flyer opened it up to .8"/3600fps

I"m thinking about going up to 48 and 48.5 to see what happens. It was tightening up every .5g increment, so thats why I wanna try 48 and 48.5. No pressure signs what so ever. I think I'll load up 47, 47.5, 48, 48.5 and shoot at 200 next week. Go from there, see if I"m still getting 1 flyer, then I'll need to tweak the seating depth, last resort will be to try a CCI 200 primer.

Hoping to get at least 3500fps, more like 3600fps though, and 1/2 MOA out of the H4350 and my 24" bbl and the Rem 700 243.

I also reshot the 45g AA4350 load to check for consistency and it shot great again, this time a .5" triangle at 200 yards, and a 4" 3 shot group at 625 yards. However its going a slow slow 3300fps. Oh well, I just wanted to use up that old powder anyways. Cant wait to get the H4350 going at hopefully 3600fps with 1/2 MOA though, be much much better...

Will keep ya updated.

BTW, I'm not even sure where these are in relation to the lands at 2.710" I just went with book for limited testing at first, but it shot so good I figured I'd work there.

Im not sure if I can get the 70g NBT to the lands and still fit in the mag though. Even if it does, would there be enough of teh bullet in the case?

I'll get a reading on it tonight with the 70g NBT and see what I come up with and let you know.

Nice looking groups you're getting there Kyotekiller. I have a very similar 700 SPS stainless in .22-250, and it's also a tack driver, junk stock, pressure point, and all.
To those who say you have to remove the pressure point from a Remington stock. I say not so.. I had a 700 Classic I bought used that I found the previous owner had removed the pressure point from and had also shimmed under the recoil shield. The barrel was totally freefloated. The rifle wouldn't shoot better than a 1.5 inches no matter what I tried. Probably why the rifle was sold. I ended up putting the barreled action in an unaltered BDL stock I had, and VIOLA.. .75 inch groups. After this I bought a new take off Classic stock and put the barreled action in it. Again.. .75 inch groups with no change in POI from the BDL stock.
I've had several other model 700's, and all have shot under MOA without any kind of stock work. All I do is adjust the triggers to three pounds and start looking for a load.

Heres what the 243 did today, left and middle target.

Left target was 200 yards with 45g AA4350/70g NBT. Middle target was minimal work up with H4350/70g NBT. Right target is my lovely 700 ADL triple deuce. Experimenting with H4198/40g vmax to substitute its pet IMR4198/40g vmax load due to being an "extreme" series powder. Think it likes 21.5g of H4198, where as it shoots this way regularly with 20.9-21g of IMR4198. Velocity is same around 3550-3600 with both powders, with this particular load of 21.5g H4198 giving 3575fps with the 40g vmax and my 24" tube. Makes a dandy 300 yard coyote rifle/perfect if your a good caller, not so perfect if your not, thats why I got the 243
smile.gif

9r0mjc.jpg

My 700 ADL triple deuce, topped with a new nikon buckmasters 3-9 w/duplex, all this rifle needs.

2jc7soy.jpg

I think it is safe to say most rifles are not junk. I am not a Remmy fan at all but I do not think they are junk. You may very well like them very much. I know my brother likes his Remmy's.

Here is a photo of the last group I shot while getting the scope and my Rem 700 SPS Stainless in 243 in "sync" using the factory ammo in the photo.

I did move it a click to the right after that group and figured it's ready to roll.

It wears a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 scope that is about 6 years old and was on a different 243 before this one.

this group was shot about a year ago, shortly after I bought the rifle

I have generally had good luck with 700's and mine are usually not the real high end ones either.

243-gr-1.jpg

Last edited:
IVE HAD 2 OF THOSE JUNK SYN. adl 700s, Traded the 270 went n got it back one of the best triggers Ive ever owned,it shoots lights out~had another 308 I cut to 18 that shot moa....yep junk.got my eye on a 700 ADL syn. 243 RIGHT NOW,Prolly crap too.

Back