Binocular suspension/chest pouch

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
I’m ready to upgrade my old Crooked Horn bino-bra to something sturdier and potentially more protective. I’m considering the Alaska Guide Creations (based on past input here) and the FHF Gear unit (based on high marks elsewhere), though am open to other suggestions. Initially I was interested in the Badlands too because of its magnetic closure, but I suspect their gimmicky hydration pouch on the back will end up being quite uncomfortable under a pack. I currently carry a Kahles 10x42 and don’t expect to go much, if any, larger with future optics. I will use the unit for big game and predator hunting, as well as general hiking with the family and Scouts. Below are listed my primary criteria
Sturdy – I want something well-built that will stand the test of time. Durability is important.

Light weight – I’m already packing enough extra weight courtesy of Budweiser, so I don’t need a bunch of extra weight hanging off my chest.

Quiet – Obviously, being quiet is important. This probably means no zippers.

Compatible with backpack – I usually hunt with a full-size backpack (currently an Eberlestock X1A1), so I need a binocular holding system that will be compatible with a pack on long hikes. That means a harness system that can be worn under pack straps all day long without imprinting permanent divots in my back or shoulders.

Tether – Ideally the binocular would be tethered to the unit so I don’t have to put it back in every time. I do a lot of glassing, sometimes spending hours at one location looking for something to go after. Being able to just leave the bino hang free for short breaks would be an advantage.

Pockets – Small pockets or straps for a wind checker, GPS, rangefinder, hand call, etc. would be nice, as long as they don’t significantly add to the overall bulk of the unit.

So, what say you? Pros and cons of my two options? Something you use that I’ve overlooked? Please share your experience with me.

Went through the same thing a little while back.
Looked REAL hard at the badlands but it just didn't feel right the way the pouch opened. The Alaska felt too big for my needs.
Ended up getting the sitka.
Pros:
Great size. Fits my 10x42 perfectly. No wasted size.
Very comfortable. Fits under pack. Cool on the back with mesh.
Has tether
Well built
Easy on and off
Has option to zip close but also magnet close
Cons:
No extra pockets(but there are small sleave things on the side to hook stuff to)

Probably don't remember it but i wore it when we hunted down in Tucson

I tried several bino packs before I found one that I liked. I have similar requirements to you when choosing a pack. I have read good things about the FHF pack but did not try that one in my search. I ended up with the Kuiu bino pack and couldn't be happier with my choice. You may want to try one, if you don't like it there is a healthy market for them so selling it shouldn't take much.

Thanks guys.

The Sitka looks pretty nice. I guess I wasn't as observant as I should have been in Tucson or I would have asked to play with it since I've been casually looking since about that time. Not sure I like the zipper though - how quiet can it be operated?

I looked at the Kuiu, but don't really like the way the top straps are separate from the rest of the unit. It has some other nice features though. Do you find that the case part sags down your chest when you're using the bino? Do you have to hitch it up to replace the bino?

Here is what i did.. I went through several things before finally just getting this.

I tried the lanyard and didn't like feeling like a xmass tree with everything dangling, and once got stuck going over a fence.
I tried the bino suspenders and they were nice, but same issue with still needing other things on a lanyard.

I finally was in a surplus store and picked up a 240ammo pouch($12), it could be a shotgun pouch too. I then got a "H" harness ($8) and the pouch came with a strap that i then connected to the pounch and ran around the waste to the bottom of the H harness, for a belt, I sewd in a section of elastic for the waste, and added a quick Backpack hip buckle ($3) at the local sewing store.

I put it all together and now, it doesn't matter if i am wearing winter layers or just a t, it fits fine, and stays close to my body. I can put my bino's, and remote to my call in there, I also had enough room for the dog collar remote until i lost the decoy dog in the divorce (sore subject how a judge could give a X my hunting dog for coyotes when she doesn't hunt....) I love that its got everything, and doesn't get in the way of a pack, or rifle sling, and it was done for under $25. I use it all the time and it's easy to take on and off with a single clip.

I then tied short pieces of 550 cord to everything so I don't loose it. (dummy cord)

Originally Posted By: DesertRamBelow are listed my primary criteria.
Sturdy – I have been running AGC bino packs since 2007 and have yet to have any piece or part wear out. I have white and camo for different seasons, but they both get used very hard.

Light weight – When the (large) pack itself is empty, it weighs in at 12.6 oz.

Quiet – It has one fastex buckle to secure the binos and can be opened with zero sound.

Compatible with backpack – we have been wearing ours underneath 4 different Eberlestock packs for years. The shoulder straps have gone through a few redesigns since we've been using them and I feel the current straps are the culmination of 40 years of refinement. They stay put and I don't even notice them under my backpacks.

Tether – I choose to wear my factory bino strap around my neck specifically for the reason you stated. It allows me to drop them without having to take the time to put them back in the pack. You could attach a piece of 550 cord directly to your straps, but IMO, it's just as easy to wear the strap around your neck.

Pockets – The current versions have one pouch in the front, one on each side and one on the back and two layers of elastic on the top for smaller cell phones, pens e-caller remotes, kestrel, hand calls...etc.
I use the back pouch for my phone, tags, permits, maps, pens or even my hand gun occasionally. Side pouches contain hand calls, windicator powder, lens pens, cleaning solutions, kestrel, hand gun mags, etc etc etc. The front usually takes rifle mags, or hand calls. I have stored 2 long action 5round mags in the front during rifle matches with no problems.
The newest models that you can get through Skinney even have a 5th accessory pouch at the bottom. Something we've wanted to see added for a while.
Basically, you can go as heavy or as light as you want. From a full chest of gear, or just your binos.

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatThe Alaska felt too big for my needs. The AGC Bino pack comes in 3 different sizes. (x42, x50 and x56) I would be shocked if the small are too big for even the smallest application.
AGC Bino Packs

11537390_690547676236_549928412335283637_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: DesertRamThanks guys.

The Sitka looks pretty nice. I guess I wasn't as observant as I should have been in Tucson or I would have asked to play with it since I've been casually looking since about that time. Not sure I like the zipper though - how quiet can it be operated?

It is very quiet. BUT, I actually leave it unzipped about 95% as it self closes. I really only have it zipped when transporting it or just flat out hiking with no chance of needing the binos. While we were out that day I had it unzipped the entire time.

I kinda wish it had pockets like the AGC, but not having them I don't notice that I need them. Just one of those "wish list" things. It is sleek though without them.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam
I looked at the Kuiu, but don't really like the way the top straps are separate from the rest of the unit. It has some other nice features though. Do you find that the case part sags down your chest when you're using the bino? Do you have to hitch it up to replace the bino?

I have not had the case sag down my chest while glassing. I like the separate straps because while glassing I don't have the constant tug of the elastic straps of other pouches wanting to pull the binos down. There are so many different models out there you may have to purchase a couple and see what you like best.

I went with the badlands, it is awesome. I had a friend who gave me some kind of a code and I only paid $50 for it some how direct from the badlands site. The hydration deal on the back doesn't bother you abit. I've never used mine,I actually forgot it was there. I cut the top off of my Leica rangefinder case and sewed it into the badlands bino case between the magnetic flip cover and where you store your binos. When you pop it open it lays out your rangefinder, binos and afew hand calls right at your finger tips. I couldn't be happier. My rangefinder and binos have equal accessability and they both stay dust free and dry. They are always together when I'm ready to go hunting.
My son just bought him one and he paid the going rate, I think over $100?

If you would like a pic I'd be happy to send you one.
Good luck we all have different likes and dislikes so make sure it's what works for you with your style of hunting. Mine fits me absolutly perfect. I hike a lot and call a lot.
Good luck happy hunting

I carry Swaro 10x42EL's mostly. I got on this very kick this summer with the binocular rigs.After trying 4 different ones, my fave was the Kuiu. I wanted something light and material/design that wasn't bulky and hot. I paid like 80 bucks I think. I'm satisfied with em.
Mark

Originally Posted By: cbass16

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeatThe Alaska felt too big for my needs. The AGC Bino pack comes in 3 different sizes. (x42, x50 and x56) I would be shocked if the small are too big for even the smallest application.
AGC Bino Packs

11537390_690547676236_549928412335283637_o.jpg

What size do you have hanging off you in that picture? As far as I can tell, there aren't any "action" or "people" shots on AGC's website, which makes it difficult to put it in perspective. Other manufacturers have good photos or even videos that clearly show fit, features, and function. Do you know of any good videos that cover the ACG pack? Skinney mentioned that he was going to do a video review of the ACG back in January, but I didn't notice one on the O'Neill Ops page.

Originally Posted By: DesertRam
What size do you have hanging off you in that picture? As far as I can tell, there aren't any "action" or "people" shots on AGC's website, which makes it difficult to put it in perspective. Other manufacturers have good photos or even videos that clearly show fit, features, and function. Do you know of any good videos that cover the ACG pack? Skinney mentioned that he was going to do a video review of the ACG back in January, but I didn't notice one on the O'Neill Ops page.

We only use Large... Sorry about the reveiw, I want to do it right for Jarret, he deserves it and, he is in fact the pioneer of the bino pack industry, I'll be blunt here, everything else is a flat out knock off. I have one of the mans original designs in my safe from over 30 years ago. Don't get me wrong, it is the free market, but when a fella like him, makes a point to keep his gear made here in the states and pay over 2X sometimes 3X the amount ANY other pack manufacturer gets by shipping theirs over seas to be fabricated... Nah, I'll pay the SAME amount, for a better product, designed here, made here, all because a man wants to keep our Flag on the back...
My respect goes to fellas like him, not to mention, when I get his video done, you'll see, how the design, the pockets, ease of access, and security is superior.
I'm no Jim Shockey, but we do hammer our gear, hard... We go in conditions most don't, and quite frankly most can't. This piece, is a necessity, and in some instances a lifesaver.

Thanks. That one looks like too much of a good thing to me - a bit bulkier than I want. The regular or even compact may be more to my liking, though the compact has fewer bells and whistles. I like the idea of the bungee strap better than the buckle too. That's one feature of the FHF that got my attention. I also like that the compact seems to have a less boxy top flap. The January review by NM Highplains makes it appear that there would be quite a bit of extra/wasted room in the top portion of the regular and large versions.

Do you think 10x42s will fit in the compact? That's the impression I get from AGC's page, but their nomenclature is a bit confusing.

I chatted with Jarrett Owens, the owner of ACG, a few days ago about what would work best for me. Heckuva a nice guy it seems - he offered to send three different units out for my evaluation. They arrived today and I've started messing with them. Real nice stuff. I toted the Kahles around the house for an hour or so and plan to do more tomorrow to find just the right fit. I'll report back then.

How about the Sheppard scope w- build in range finder, that will range to a thousand yds. w- your ballistics?, I've read nothing but good reports for years on em, I'm thinking of getting one, for a price of 800.00-900.00, sounds like a fair price, do you guys have an knowledge of this scope? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: crocketHow about the Sheppard scope w- build in range finder, that will range to a thousand yds. w- your ballistics?, I've read nothing but good reports for years on em, I'm thinking of getting one, for a price of 800.00-900.00, sounds like a fair price, do you guys have an knowledge of this scope? Thanks.
Pretty sure you posted this question in the wrong spot hoss

Follow-up: After playing with the three sizes/materials that Jarrett sent over for evaluation, I opted for the Cub size in Kryptec camo. They fit my Kahles 10x42 perfectly and are quite compact, which I wanted.

I just finished a five-day deer hunt in northern NM. I carried my "chest-mounted man-purse," as it came to be known amongst the group, every day of the hunt and fell in love with the thing. I don't know why I didn't get one of these a decade ago. The size is just perfect - holds the bino and has a small pocket on each side (wind checker in one side and a lighter and hand call in the other), a little pouch on the front that's just right for a small digital camera or GPS unit, a small pocket on the back for paperwork (map, license), elastic bands on the top (which I didn't use), and an elastic band on each side that I found perfect for a couple spare cartridges (very useful when hunting with my single shot Contender pistol). Though I originally wanted a chest pouch with tethers for the bino, I found after using this unit for a week that I just don't need that. It's actually more convenient without, especially if you want to hand your bino to someone else. I also wanted something compatible with a loaded pack. No problems. Even with the wide, nicely padded straps of the AGC pouch, I had no discomfort carrying both it and my Eberlestock backpack. The best feature though? No more bouncing bino. Once the straps on this little pouch are snugged up, it doesn't move. It stays anchored in the center of my chest no matter what I do - run, jump, crawl, etc. That alone makes it worth the price of admission when compared to a basic strap or commercial bino-bra.

In short - I'm very pleased and look forward to many years of service from this well-designed, high quality piece of hunting gear.

Back