Soap season

Rock Knocker

With deer season comes a good amount of extra fat. The last couple of years I would make enough soap to get my dirty a$$ through the year. This year I am stepping it up.

I just started working as a farrier and I have found that horse people love natural products, I make a lot of natural products. I had a horse step on my thumb a couple days ago and take off a large chunk of skin so I dissolved pine sap, bee propilus and tea tree oil is some 99% isopropil alcohol. Once it was all dissolved I boiled off most of the alcohol and I had some great smelling antibiotic cream that has been working great.

Getting back on topic, the day before rifle season opened I talked to some local butcher shops and asked if they would save the deer fat for me. I just got back from one shop with over 200 pounds of venison fat.

So I will be making soap like I am the dirtiest sumbitch in the state until I use up all this fat.

Shower soap, scrubby hand soap, saddle soap and maybe shampoo soap of several flavors and verities. I will be trying to sell the stuff as I work on horses, and hope for the best otherwise I will have enough soap to get me through Armageddon.

Anyone else here try making soap at all?

If anyone here is interested in some homemade soap let me know, it will have to sit for at least a month until it's ready but I can take names.

Back