Coyote and Fox

Snowshoes

This morning (Sunday Nov. 08th ) was another splendid start to the day. A light frost covered my surroundings as I walked along the edge of a canola field to my desired lookout point. Get settled in and I’m amazed at the racket of the waterfowl from a large slough to the south of me. Fifteen minutes later, literally thousands of ducks and geese are flying overhead to their morning feeding grounds which was a sight to see.
Get my mind back to coyote hunting and glass the field to see if any thing is leaving the poultry farm which is northwest of me. I see a couple coyotes leaving but they are headed away from my position. Another 15 minutes pass before spotting one that is headed my direction. This coyote is in no big hurry but keeps its bearings towards me. When its roughly 80 yards away I bark to stop it and drop it in its tracks.

After walking back to the truck and then picking up the coyote, it’s off to a gravel pit that I called in a fox the evening before. I sat at the big dirt mound in the background of the picture. I had only played cottontail distress for a minute or so when the fox showed up. I shot and knew it was hit but it took off on the run towards a drainage ditch. I continued to call to see if anything else was willing to show itself but nothing did. Packed up and headed to where I thought the fox should be. When I got to the drainage ditch I found a 100 foot strip of 2-3 foot tall grass that the fox had gotten into. I searched till the light had faded enough that I decided to come back in the morning.
This morning I head back and once again pick up the blood trail going into the grass, I follow the trail as best as I could to the other side. I see blood on some canola stubble and realize the fox had made it through the grass strip. Walked out into the field and found my fox 60 yards out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dewey NYWell done snowshoes.. Do you have a lot of fox up there.?

Not lots compared to the coyote numbers but still a pretty good population. I usually pass on the fox but sometimes I just can't hold back
smile.gif

I've been seeing more and more fox recently. Good shooting. I need to get me one of those poultry farms! Seems to be quite the gold mine.

Originally Posted By: Doc25I've been seeing more and more fox recently. Good shooting. I need to get me one of those poultry farms! Seems to be quite the gold mine.

Nothing like a few thousand chickens to get a coyotes attention!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: gumboot458That was one tough coyote to make it so far. Are you shooting your 223 again this year?
still shooting the 223, the fox left a blood trail that a blind man could follow ( lost the light of the day to keep following though)
Lung shot that missed the shoulders, running on adrenaline I guess.

I fixed my post. Brain fart on that. .
Once I'm fairly sure all the bears have gone to bed and I get a better scope on my 223 I'll start using it for calling.

Last edited:
Back