45 Super vs. 10 mm.

Originally Posted By: losthelegendClark? Do you have any contact information? What is needed to upgrade to a 460 Rowland?
Can I do the upgrade to the same frame?

Search for the 460, you'll find my experience with clark and the 460. You'll also find my experience with glock and the 460 using lone wolf parts, ive done both. If you're comfy with off the shelf 44mag levels of performance but want more than a wheelgun can carry youre on the right track. If you want full power 44 levels, you'll need to stick with the revolver.

In short form, 460 is awesome, go the glock route.

Thank you for all of your responses. I do handload and am proficient at it so I will be able to optimize my rounds.

I also know that I am better off to avoid a grizzly conflict at all cost but I have grown up hunting grizzly country and know that it is inevitable to have a grizzly confrontation. So I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!!

I am kind of lost now! I am going to PM a few guys about their setups and do some more research to make an educated decision.

If you have any other thoughts and suggestions please feel free to share!

losthelegend, maybe you already covered this and I just missed it but do you already have a Glock or 1911 that you'll be converting or is your plan to purchase something, then convert it to a more powerful cartridge???

Also, since the G21 and G20 are pretty much the same gun, with the exception of one being a 45 and the other 10mm, does anyone know if the 460 Rowland kit for a G21 will work in the G20?? I've got a new G20 Gen4 that, if it'll work, I'd rather convert to 460 Rowland instead of my Sig 1911.

Upon further reading it looks like you can but would require the use of G21 slide and magazines. Probably better to just get a G21 and convert it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: B23losthelegend, maybe you already covered this and I just missed it but do you already have a Glock or 1911 that you'll be converting or is your plan to purchase something, then convert it to a more powerful cartridge???

Also, since the G21 and G20 are pretty much the same gun, with the exception of one being a 45 and the other 10mm, does anyone know if the 460 Rowland kit for a G21 will work in the G20?? I've got a new G20 Gen4 that, if it'll work, I'd rather convert to 460 Rowland instead of my Sig 1911.

Upon further reading it looks like you can but would require the use of G21 slide and magazines. Probably better to just get a G21 and convert it.

You can use the frame but you'll need the 45 slide. I bought a new pistol just to convert.

Unless your pockets are deeper than mine its definitely a reloaders round.

Underwood has the cheapest 460 Rowland ammo I have found but the HP bullets they use need to be seated too deep in order to crimp the case around the bullet's shoulder, making the COAL too short and the rounds would slide back and forth in the magazine with the heavy recoil.

I reload using Hornady XTP bullets and I load them as long as possible for my magazines and the problem was solved. I haven't shot any other 460 factory ammo.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerUnderwood has the cheapest 460 Rowland ammo I have found but the HP bullets they use need to be seated too deep in order to crimp the case around the bullet's shoulder, making the COAL too short and the rounds would slide back and forth in the magazine with the heavy recoil.

I reload using Hornady XTP bullets and I load them as long as possible for my magazines and the problem was solved. I haven't shot any other 460 factory ammo.

I use xtp as well for the real ammo, and download quite a bit using berrys plated bullets for plinkers.

I have a g20 as a trail gun. I like it. If I was to do it again I would get a g29 and a longer barrel. Having a shorter grip would make it a lot more comfortable when sitting down. Overall a little bit lighter too. I would probably carry it more often instead of leave it in the truck. Either way, you want to shoot underwood 200 grain xtp or wfngc or roll your own. Highly recommend the AA .22lr kit for practice and or a lonewolf 40 sw barrel.

With that all said, there are only black bears and pot farmers around here. A black bear will run off if you clap your hands, so its more to make loud noise. If there were grizzly I would consider a wheel gun and 44 mag or bigger.

I would not personally trust my life to any caliber conversion kit like the 460 unless I put many many many rounds through it without fail.

Back