Steel Targets? 1/2" AR500 or 3/8" AR550?

Varminterror

1/2" AR500 or 3/8" AR550? Looking to bang on them with high velocity stuff like 7mmRM, 204R, and 300wm as well as high energy stuff like .416Rug and .458win mag.

I have a couple JC products targets on a more permanent range, but I have some Cabelas points to spend and I'm thinking about getting a couple of the Birchwood Casey or Caldwell gongs to be a more portable option for me. Both are about $100-120, 10" vs. 9.5" could care less on the hanger set up, I'll rebuild something when they break.

Only real difference is one is 1/2" AR500 the other is 3/8" AR550.

I have seen 338 Lapua hit a 3/8 plate at 500 yards and it only knocks the paint off. Rings better as well. At 300, you might want to go to the 1/2". A 300 Win mag will shoot through 3/8 mild steel plate at 500, like butter. Thicker mild steel doesn't have much ring. I have a 1" plate 20" gong at 700, and nothing has marked it yet. It is mild steel scrap and hardly rings at all, more of a splat. Old plow disks just break, even at 800. I do have a 24" roan plow disk at 1000, and so far nothing has hurt it yet, it's thick, and rings well. It was off a plow pulled by a dozer.

I have 3/8 and 1/2. We use 1/2 at 300 and closer and 3/8 on out. Stands up to .338 Lapua ok. I have a friend who shoots .22/6mm with 80gr bullets that is a steel killer but it dont hurt the AR500.

I have good luck with both 1/2" and 3/8" AR 500 plates
But speed kills

Last week I was shooting my 22-250 at 200 yards and it pitted in pretty bad
At the same distance I was shooting 6 x 47 Lapua with 105s and all it did was knock paint off

When stepped out to 320 the 22-250 didn't pit the plate any

I typically don't shoot my steel closer than 400 but have been practicing for my up coming coyote hunt trip and tries some closer shots

Is the AR550 harder than 500? In other words - is a thinner 3/8" AR550 just as durable/resilient/resistant as a 1/2" AR500?

I'd venture we'll only shoot them with revolvers inside 250 and pistols inside 50-100yrds. MAYBE shoot the big bore stuff at 100yrds occasionally (high energy, low velocity).

AR500 requires impact velocity below ~3200 fps to avoid damage. 200+ yards is safe for most rounds. Under 200 yards, you gotta watch out for the high velocity stuff like 204, 17Rem, 22-250, even some 223, etc.

I am getting ready to put in an order with this place. They were recommended to me by some reputable folks. Great sale prices right now and FREE shipping if over $100. Also check out the 10% off if you order on veterans day (that is my plan).
Even the hanging chains and bolts are 50% off. Hope this helps. P.S. The site claims no issue if IMPACT velocity is under 3000 FPS.

https://shootingtargets7.com/store/gongs/1-2.html

I am going to throw one of these in with my order also....

https://shootingtargets7.com/store/bullseye-targets/bullseye-target.html

Here's another good source:

http://www.jcsteeltargets.com

I've bought several targets from JC and the prices, quality, and delivery have always been excellent.
thumbup1.gif

I would try to contact the company and find out what type of steel they are made from. Not all steels are the same. They are also made differently such as some are tempered and some are not.

Just like not all rifle barrels are the same. They too are made out of different types of steel.

Do a google search on "STEEL" and learn more about how steel is made and how's it's categorized. Then figure out which targets are made out of which types of steel if that's possible.

One guy above mentioned shooting different types of Steel Plow Disks that he has rigged up. Which tells me that the plows are made out of various types of steel. Some steel is harder and more brittle and some is softer and less brittle.

I would want to try to figure out which steel type is best for using as a target for higher velocity rounds and heavier bullets. Then that is the type of target (steel) I would choose.

On the other hand you can just go to the store and buy what ever types of steel targets they have for sale. I recently purchased some steel targets that I can stick in the ground and shoot at. These are two round disks mounted on a swivel system so they swing up and around or down and around when hit. They may be the Casey Type Steel targets. I got them at Gander Mountain in Evansville, IN and they cost around $50 IIRC. If I recall Correctly (IIRC).

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_I would try to contact the company and find out what type of steel they are made from...

Very plainly - I mentioned this directly in my opening post, and I'm not looking for a wikipedia lesson on metallurgy. One target is made from 1/2" AR500, the other from 3/8" AR550. Without breaking out my materials engineering books, I assumed someone on here would have shot plates of both construction and would have been able to chime in with real world experience.

I expect that the hardness advantage of the 550 will be better for my HV rounds to resist puncture or pitting, but the 1/2" steel would be an advantage for denting with the HE rounds.

Originally Posted By: fw707Here's another good source:

http://www.jcsteeltargets.com

I've bought several targets from JC and the prices, quality, and delivery have always been excellent.
thumbup1.gif

I have a bunch of JC targets, and I'll comment that they're absolutely second to none. But they're all hanging on a permanent rack at my "normal" shooting range. I tried them first a few years ago when my other plates (custom cut by my old machine shop) started getting a bit too beat up. I bought a couple JC's after I realized I had been spending too much on MGM targets (great product, but really pricey).

Really, I'm looking to ADD a couple of portable targets to my 'collection,' and since I have the Cabelas cards to buy them, they're free. There are better brands or sources out there, but unless they take cabelas cards, that doesn't help.

Last edited:
Back