6.8 ammo for coyotes?

I have shot them with the 110 grain VMax, 110 Sierra Pro Hunters, and 90 grain Sierra HP's, the last 2 being handloads. All will do the job.

Hornady 110gr VMAX. I' let a friend use my rifle once and he took the mag loaded with SSA tac load 110gr accubonds. They worked too.

Has Hornady released their new plastic tipped bullets ELD for the 6.8 SPC caliber (upgrade for the V-Max Bullets) yet? They did some research using Doppler radar and found that the plastic tips on the V-Max Bullets was actually MELTING in flight. So they reformulated the plastic tips to make them harder and stronger so that they don't melt and destroy the flight ballistics. I saw a recent video announcement from Hornady on this subject. But I've not found any of these new Hornady Bullets on the store shelves yet. I don't even remember the name of the new bullets. OK I went to the Hornady web site and did some research and found this direct link to the new type bullets. They are called ELD-Match bullets. There is an A-Max bullet too but I didn't read that one or give the link in here. But you can go to the Hornady web site and read about them yourself if you like.

Yesterday I got a new copy of the Predator Extreme Volume 16 Issue 6. In this magazine is a review of the Daniel Defense's Ambush Firearms 6.8 SPCII AR15 MSR. If you get this magazine I highly recommend reading this article on the ambush Firearms AR15 Rifle that is made for the 6.8 SPCII Chamber. This gun will allow you to shoot a variety of 6.8 type bullets. The Ambush Firearms 6.8 SPCIII is made with a Cold hammer forged barrel where the barrel and chamber are all made at the same time to keep the chamber and barrel in line perfectly without variation from one gun to the next. The rod is put inside the barrel and it's hammered to make the groves and chamber inside the barrel at the same time. This gives a better rifle barrel right from the start according to DD. The article or the Daniel Defense web site will explain all this better than I can. But I was immediately impressed with the Daniel Defense's company policy. Ambush Firearms is a subsidiary of Daniel Defense as it's their hunting division. All their guns are made by Daniel Defense. They make all their Major parts themselves except for the Magpul stock and the Geissele Super Semi Automatic (SSA) Trigger. Major Parts would be the Barrel and chamber and the upper receivers, rails and MFR. The Ambush Firearms Rifles are camo painted in two or three types of camo design. The Daniel Defense guns are black or tan colored. But the Ambush Firearms are the hunting rifles so they get the camo treatment.

The article in the Predator Extreme Magazine talks about the various types of bullets and their muzzle velocities and velocities down range along with their ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle and down range. So this article might be of interest to you. And the article is written for the Predator hunter so that's a real plus.

PS: I have seen some predator hunting magazines ONLINE where I was able to go and read the articles on the internet. So if you don't want to buy the Predator Extreme Magazine you might be able to find this article online too. I'm on my lap top right now and away from my desktop computer so I don't have the link to my Desktops favorites folder. I could check my email to see the email that I get. One of those emails is from a company or magazine that has the online articles but I can't recall the name or the link right now. My desktop Windows7 computer uses a different MS email program than my newer laptop does and I'm still not comfortable using the new email program on this new Asus Notebook computer .... yet. I'm getting better with it but everything is in different places on this email program than on the other one. I wish that they would stop making this differently. By the time I learn one program and start to get comfortable using it they come up with a new updated version with all the buttons in different places and new things to learn about.

http://www.hornady.com/store/ELD-Match

Hornady 110 Grain V-Max for the 6.8 SPC has a muzzle velocity and energy of 2550 fps and 1,588 ft/lbs and at 300 yards it drops down to 1,893 fps and 875 ft/lbs When fired out of the 18" long Ambush Firearms AR15 chambered in 6.8SPCII. Ambush Firearms uses a 1:11 twist rate for this 6.8 SPCII rifle barrel. The Hornady V-Max 120 Gr bullet is a little slower but it's heavier.

http://www.hornady.com/store/V-MAX-bullets/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlAnybody try Federal 90gr Bonded SP (XM68GD)?
I see these are cheap.

I've used them...my rifle likes them best of all. Took down a coyote and a deer with them. Yote DRT, doe ran 40 and piled up.

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlAnybody try Federal 90gr Bonded SP (XM68GD)?
I see these are cheap.

I'm just starting to run them picked up 2200 of them.
My guns shoot them real well with R-7 or AA-2200.

Originally Posted By: Coyotehunter_I read about a lot of stuff and watched some marketing videos, but haven't ever handled any of it myself, but hey, it has to be pertinent and you surely want to read tons about it...

Sorry - I paraphrased your quote a bit to save space, but [beeep] did I just read?

The 110 V-max is a mess maker, but a great anchor for coyotes. The 120 SST hits hard and is nicer to hides - pretty handy on deer, and the expansion on the 100 Accubond is very well controlled. The 110 TTSX flies plenty straight and will penetrate, but they're pretty pricey. The 110 V-max keeps me happy. I've only had two barrels in 6.8, a Shilen and a BHW, and with a little load tuning, any of the above bullets have shot better than I'm able to overcome.

I have been using the 110 Grain V Max from Hornady. I do want to add that I was going to try the 90 grain TNTs but I never got quite as good of accuracy with them, and I just never have used them. I have a half box and need to give em another chance. I think it was RE7 I tried them with.
I have been fortunate with the 110s since I can get good accuracy with H322, 8208, and AA2200.
Other guys have had great results with the Barnes 95 grain TTSX. I have not tried it yet but plan to.
My latest upper has an ARP 18" barrel on it.

I'm trying the Cavity Back Bullets 105gr MKZ bullets. Pushed with 30gr of AA2200 powder and a cci#450 primer. Getting about 2740fps (likely less in cool weather). These things should be deadly!

My favorites are Speer 90 grain TNT's and 90 grain Gold Dot pulls
seated on top of H4198. The TNT's are a bit more accurate out of my barrel and do an excellent job of dispatching coyotes.

Ive shot the 90Gr Sierra Varminter, 90gr Speer TNT, 100gr Hornady GMX, 105gr MKZ Cavity Back Bullets, 110gr Hornady BTHP, 115gr SMK, 115gr NCC, 120gr SST, and 130gr Berger VLD Hunting. The 105gr MKZ did the most damage, Next was the 120gr SST. The 130gr Berger VLD Hunting did the least damage but still dropped the small pup.

I've used the 90gr HP that SSA used to load and had good results with that but I only had a few boxes before they stopped making them. Went with ProHunters for awhile but never shot a coyote with them. Now I've kind of standardized on the S&B 110 gr PTS. My rifle likes them well but I haven't shot a coyote with one yet. They're supposedly a little harder than the SST. Also bought some Priv 115 grain HP, haven't heard good accuracy reports about them but wanted to at least shoot a few and see if the rifle liked them.

I’ve shot quite a few with hand loaded 120sst while out looking for hogs. Everyone has dropped on the spot and surprisingly very few have exited. I’m shooting them at 2460 fps out of a 12” bbl.

Back