Shooting Star Slam

bhw

Gang,

Did anyone notice the shooting stars that were out last night? This might sound corny, but I'd like to think that they are my father telling me from above to be on alert as a critter is about to appear. It works several times last night...

My hunting has been slow, but last night things came together. First stand was empty so on to the next. As I set up a truck keep passing by and blasting the field with a spotlight. Then they pulled up to my truck. I walked over and talked to them and they were concerned about deer poaching. We had a nice conversation and they went on their way. I turned on the Baybee cottontail and 1 minute later a gray fox showed up. An easy 60 yard shot put it down! That was 6:00 PM.

At 7:00 PM, a red fox zipped through a cut corn field to Baybee cottontail. All I could see was its head. The shot with the Remington 700 in .223 was true.

At 9:00 PM, a coyote made its way across a cut bean field to Baybee cottontail. I was behind a knoll and looking at me. All I could see was its head and neck. I took the shot at 100 yards and down it went.

Here is an interesting stand that took place later in the night...

I got instant eyes rusing to the call. I swing into shooting position only to find out that it is a deer!!

Then a red fox zips in and I miss an easy shot (I think I was already posing with it before I shot). I notice 2 sets of eyes coming from the other end of the field. "A double," I say to myself. As they approached I could see that they were a beagle and a black lab! Never had that happen at night before!

All in all, it was a fun time and I was glad to have bagged a predator slam in a few hours!

0674e6662574473583fe898c6c5fb643_zpsippc4ram.jpg

Way to go Andrew!!! Great shooting! Nice to be able to take both red and gray along with a coyote, too. Had to be an awesome night afield.
thumbup1.gif

Back