Bear eaten

Tka250

Here is a question. Bear was shot and not much blood. Decided to wait overnight to track it. When it was found it was mostly eaten. Now here is where it is confusing. It doesn't appear it was wolves or coyotes as it wasn't ripped up at all like they would have trying to pull pieces off. The skeleton was intact for the most part, none of the bones were gone or really chewed up. The entire rear, most of the guts and some of the ribs were all eaten, probably 120lbs of the bear were eaten, but the bones were not chewed. Any thoughts on what would do this? Would another bear do this? This was in MN so wolves, bobcats, coyotes, even mt lion are all possibilities. The guy said it looked like whatever ate it sat in one spot and ate. It wasn't buried at all, but they think that whatever was doing the eating was spooked off in the morning when they continued the search because of how the dog acted when it found it.

Last edited:
I've heard, and read, that bears are cannibals. Wayne, from Foggy Mtn. told me once he had that happen at his camp in long lake, Ontario. That was 30 yrs ago.

I hear about those black panthers up that way. My money is on one of them.
wink.gif

Not sure how long after daylight you found the carcass, but my brother shot a muley buck at dusk and left it. we were back at the kill 1 1/2 hours after daylight and most of the deer was cleaned down to the bones, from birds, ravens, whiskey jacks etc.

Originally Posted By: PredburnerLand shark..... best answer ever....
But in all honesty I really doubt it was just one species of one animal. Several different things could have fed on it that night.

Back