Pet Loads For 243 95 Grain SST

kymailman98

For several years now, I've been trying to come up with a good deer load for my 243's. I've tried some 100 grain SP's, 90 grain Noslers, and 95 grain SST's. The SST's seem to shoot better than anything else, and I've come up with a pretty decent load using 43 grains of W760 It's chronographing 3050, and shooting around an inch at a 100 yards. I should probably stop here, but you know how it is, as some of us are never satisfied. I tried IMR4350, and was not satisfied with the results. I want to try a slower burning powder than 760, and just wonder if anyone out there has any pet loads for the 95 grain SST in their 243's. I have some Reloader 19, H4831, and some AA4350 on hand, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Our .243 shoots 85 and 100 grain bullets extremely well with IMR4064. By far the best accuracy of anything else we have tried.

If you're getting over 3,000 fps and under an inch - back slowly away from the loading bench! Go forth and slay all manner of beast and enjoy.

Originally Posted By: GCIf you're getting over 3,000 fps and under an inch - back slowly away from the loading bench! Go forth and slay all manner of beast and enjoy.

That sounds about right to me.

rl-19 was my powder of choice, or I guess it still is. The load is stout, so I won't list it. However, it shot well over several wide charge weight spreads.

I have been using imr 7828 with 95 grs.Out of my ruger ultra lite weight with a 18 1/2 in barrel it shoot them at 3177 fps. and under 1 inch. the load is over max. by a ways.48.8 grs. this rifle has shot up to 50 grs. with no signs of pressure.

I don't remember the charge weight right off hand but after extensive load development I found that H4831sc gave the best accuracy in my wifes 243 youth with a 20" Barrel. I do know it was a compressed load that got me the accuracy I was looking for. I was disappointed with the velocity it's averaging 2688 which is rather slow in my opinion even with a 95 gr bullet and a 20" barrel.

Originally Posted By: GCIf you're getting over 3,000 fps and under an inch - back slowly away from the loading bench! Go forth and slay all manner of beast and enjoy.

You are exactly right. I should be content, but if you're a reloader, you know how it is, you're always looking for "that" load. I reload for 4 243's, all Model 700's, and W760 is pretty much all I use, except for IMR 4064 in my grandkids youth model. I have found great loads for bullets ranging between 58 and 85 grains, all with 760 powder. But, it's not been that easy to find a good accurate load with good velocity for the heavier bullets. At least, not with what I've been doing. My load for the 95 grain SST has shown good accuracy in one rifle, while just so-so in another one that I like to use. Most of my deer kills with the 243 have been with the Sierra 85 grain HPBT, and although I prefer a heavier weight bullet, it will do the job.

Originally Posted By: 19grizz69I have been using imr 7828 with 95 grs.Out of my ruger ultra lite weight with a 18 1/2 in barrel it shoot them at 3177 fps. and under 1 inch. the load is over max. by a ways.48.8 grs. this rifle has shot up to 50 grs. with no signs of pressure.

Are those velocity numbers and charge weights a typo?

Originally Posted By: kymailman98Originally Posted By: GCIf you're getting over 3,000 fps and under an inch - back slowly away from the loading bench! Go forth and slay all manner of beast and enjoy.

You are exactly right. I should be content, but if you're a reloader, you know how it is, you're always looking for "that" load. I reload for 4 243's, all Model 700's, and W760 is pretty much all I use, except for IMR 4064 in my grandkids youth model. I have found great loads for bullets ranging between 58 and 85 grains, all with 760 powder. But, it's not been that easy to find a good accurate load with good velocity for the heavier bullets. At least, not with what I've been doing. My load for the 95 grain SST has shown good accuracy in one rifle, while just so-so in another one that I like to use. Most of my deer kills with the 243 have been with the Sierra 85 grain HPBT, and although I prefer a heavier weight bullet, it will do the job.

I've never had a .243 Winchester that wouldn't shoot a decent 95 -105 gr. bullet well over a stiff charge of IMR or H-4350. Those two have slightly different load data but one of those two 4350 powders has always been a good performer.

I haven't tried any 95 gr SST but I am going to for my son's 243 I use SST in my 280 7mm mag 25/06 dad's 270 . I like them in my 280 so much I bought up 12 boxes to load in the 139 gr SST and 8 boxes in 25/06. Please let me know how they do.

GC's recomendatin of a stiff load Of H4350, and I use a Win primer with this powder. A good place to start would be 43.0g and work up in .5g increments, three shots with the bullet touching the lands. Accuracy will probably be 43.0,4.5, or 44g of H4350 with the 95g SST. I love the Nosler 95g Partition for this same load also, try and catch them on sale at the Nosler Pro shpt. This bullet is simply unreal on deer large and small, usually 1/2" accuracy at 100 yds also.

Keith,
I've usually been able to get good hunting accuracy from the Partition, seldom that level of target accuracy though. Now, the 95 gr. Ballistic Tip is a shooting sum' buck. And the BT in that 95 gr. weight is supposed to be absolute perfection in the .243. I have loads using the 95 gr. BT worked out for two hunters to try out on deer come November. We'll see...

BTW, those loads are fueled by H4350 and both shoot well under the magic 1". I haven't run them over a chronograph yet but they should be about right.

Originally Posted By: GCKeith,
I've usually been able to get good hunting accuracy from the Partition, seldom that level of target accuracy though. Now, the 95 gr. Ballistic Tip is a shooting sum' buck. And the BT in that 95 gr. weight is supposed to be absolute perfection in the .243. I have loads using the 95 gr. BT worked out for two hunters to try out on deer come November. We'll see...

BTW, those loads are fueled by H4350 and both shoot well under the magic 1". I haven't run them over a chronograph yet but they should be about right.

I tried some IMR4350, 43.0 grains to be exact, and just wasn't satisfied at all. I do have some AA4350, and may try it, or I might just leave well enough alone. I doubt I'll shoot much past 300 yards, and I know my rifle is good at that range, so I'm good to go. However.....I do have a lot of time on my hands and a lot of reloading components, so who knows what might happen.

43.0 grs of IMR-4350? That's a hot load, usually somewhere between 41.0 - 42.0 works out about right with the IMR version.

Two 700's like 43.0g with a 95g SST and 95g Ballistic tip, and 44g with the 95g Combined technology bullet. I like the 43.0g of IMR or H powder charge with the 95g Nosler partition, and the two rifles like different jumps to the lands due to throat wear.

I would start off at 41.5g and work up every barrel is different with it's THROAT WEAR, components lot# difference,Bore dia, and brand of brass used. I use Rem brass, PMC and Lapua is much tougher brass.

100g Hornady flat base load in my two 700's is 41.5g on one gun and 42.3g in another of H4350 with a 9 1/2 primer bullet touching the lands, always back off and work up to any internet load you read. I can't say enough good about the 100g Hornady flat base, it is a poor mans partition for sure.

Seating depth is of MAJOR importance in getting sub 1/2" accuracy. In 6mm's, I work up loads with the bullets just barely touching the lands, then adjust from there. Most 6mm like a firm contact with the lands, but that is only a rule of thumb, VLD bullets are an animal of their own. I have never stuck a 243 bullet in the lands from a seating depth of just touching the lands or a very slight jam. Std Neck sizers and full length sizers put .003 or MORE grip on the bullet.

I have not had trouble in getting the 95g Partiton to group 5/8" or a tad less, but it does take some work. Adjusting seating depth after the powder charge has been found is where the success is found. Some rifles may like a .060 jump where another may like touching the lands.

The 95g SST is a bullet on the tougher side. A friend in New Zealand says that the 95g SST is all that is needed on those huge deer they have there that get to 450 lbs, he shoots from mountain side to mountain side.

Last edited:
I have settled on a load of 43 grains of W760 with the 95 grain SST as my deer load, but that hasn't stopped me from experimenting. I tried some AA4350 and the results were about the same as with IMR 4350. I then tried 44.5 grains of R19, and got good groups, but rather sloe velocity. I tried 46.5 grains of R19, and again got good groups and 3025 average on the chronograph. I believe I could easily go up another grain, maybe more, as there are no signs of pressure. But, that's for another year. I'm not a speed freak, but I do like a max load as long as it's accurate.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: 19grizz69I have been using imr 7828 with 95 grs.Out of my ruger ultra lite weight with a 18 1/2 in barrel it shoot them at 3177 fps. and under 1 inch. the load is over max. by a ways.48.8 grs. this rifle has shot up to 50 grs. with no signs of pressure.

Are those velocity numbers and charge weights a typo?

Hello?

Back