55 grain Hornady spire pt. flat base COYOTE ROUND?????

rudymontana

Any one use this round in thier 223 to shoot coyotes? If so is it a fur saver? One hole in no exit? One in and small exit hole? Etc.

Anyone have a coyote fur friendly round in 223. What bullet, etc.?

Last edited:
I've been using this exact round for yotes(comes 50 to a box at a great price) for quite some time now. I'm not in the fur biz but I'd say its a fairly friendly round.

The coyotes Ive shot using a 55g sp has always left big exit holes or more from broadside hits, frontal shots were no exits.

^^^ I have not shot through actual bone on coyote, but all the "soft" tissue shots were worse than I figured they would be.

I load my own. I can match any production load or get real close. What part of N.D. you from? I'm originally East MT. Just west of Williston Thanks Rudy

Last edited:
The 55gr SP's pretty much exit with a quarter sized hole most times for me.
The Berger 52gr is a decent bullet that gives fairly consistent results... no exits for the most part.
You can runs them 3100-3350fps depending on barrel length.

I use this bullet in my 223 caliber with 20.0 grains of IMR-4198 powder behind it. My results on coyotes are similar to what Venatic said, "The 55gr SP's pretty much exit with a quarter sized hole most times for me."

I have used the 55gr sp in .223 & .22-250 for close or brushy calling.
At times the .223 gives a spinner or a runner and gets another round. Sometimes the .22-250 gets a tail-spinner.
thumbup1.gif

I had a large exit once when the bullet hit a large bone. Typically I get a tiny entrance with a small exit.
One kill at 25 ft with .22-250 penciled through where I could not find the hole til a few drops of blood showed.
I have used 55 gr soft point round nose Black Hills, Federal, Remington factory stuff.

I have been using the Speer 52 grain HP #1035 in my 223 over a moderate load of H322. Groups .5-.6" at 100 with factory Rem 700 varmint. Has been very easy on fur with only one exit out of six coyotes shot so far this season. The one exit was a quartering to shot that exited in the abdomen but still only left a 1" hole. No splashes on entrance side either. All shots range from 40-150 yards.

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaVenatic, The 52 berger bullets are Spire Point or hollow points?

Berger only makes HP's

Back