Rookie needs some tips on fleshing coyotes

Saskcoyote78

Im having some issues when I flesh coyotes. There is a skin membrane that a real pain in the butt to totally get rid of and Im tearing hides attempting to get it removed. Do you guys leave some of it on as long as all the fat and flesh is gone?
I wish I had someone I could watch doing it and have some help but Im going at it alone with only forums and youtube for help. If anyone has some tips they'd share with a rookie,,,that would be appreciated.

Cheers!!

Here most of the coyotes have fat under that so it needs to come off. It's harder later on the winter when they are run down then that can be difficult to get off.

Where are you located at? Judging by your mulie pictures your way down south

Originally Posted By: Sask trapperHere most of the coyotes have fat under that so it needs to come off. It's harder later on the winter when they are run down then that can be difficult to get off.

Where are you located at? Judging by your mulie pictures your way down south

Yeah Im in Moose Jaw, pretty south. You?

Originally Posted By: Sask trapperI'm at humboldt. Too bad you weren't closer or I would give you a hand

Yeah,,no worries though with the internet it helps to learn things, especially youtube.

So when you flesh do make sure all that membrane is off even if no fat is under it? I had one pelt I was working on and the membrane just would not give, I then gave a bit more pressure and it tore...errr. Good thing these are practise dogs for me. I heard it takes at least 20 to somewhat get the hang of it.

Ya if there is nothing under it then t will dry ok. 99% of the ones you catch have fat under the membrane. Later in the year when they get run down there will be more and more of having nothing under the membrane. Usually that spot is right on the back of the neck. If after a few strokes of the fleshing knife it doesn't come off then there is usual nothing under it. At least by running the knife over it a few times it breaks it up and helps it dry

Back