coyote eye lids

Saskcoyote78

Hey guys,

Im new to skinning out coyotes and have it pretty much figured out but have trouble at times getting the eyelids. Whats the trick to these. Do you need to pull out and skin down to get them 100% of the time or what??

Cheers!!

When working the hide off the head, when I get to the eye, I just work around the eye socket and not the hide. Hope that made sence.

Go to slide 16 at this link for a decent idea -Basic Coyote Skinning. I prefer to lop off the front legs at the knees before skinning unless the feet are being kept.

If you have ear cartilage removal down then the eyes and lips should be gravy. You can always go back and trim excess eyelid, lips and nose cartilage.

I always find that the "fine tuning" skinning of the face is easiest done from eye level - not bending over. It also keeps the tail from dragging on the ground in the crud. Use a piece of dry newspaper wrapped around the hide to get a good grip as you pull and cut.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Once you have cut the ears and pulled down to the eyes pinch the eye lid and cut 90 degrees to the skull. small cut to see if you are in the right place then finish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crapshootOr pay the Hutterites to skin them for you.

I prefer to do them all my self, around here they are very dishonest and will take your good fur and swap it with lower grade stuff.

Thanks for all the tips guys!!

To get them started I put my finger in the ear and pull down until I've made my way to the eye lid. Once I've got it worked loose enough I put my finger in the eye hole and pull down slightly and continue from there. Head shot coyotes are more difficult because it's kind of hard to see what you're doing. Just be careful where you're cutting on those. If it gets hard to see where you're at always cut higher than you think and work your way down a little at a time until you have the eye lid completely worked loose. I don't know if that makes sense without actually showing you what I mean but that's how I do it. Just gotta be kinda careful on that part.

what sask said, I make ear hole big enough to get a finger in it and lift the skin enough to slice it off clean. I shoot through chest so usually less blood to deal with when skinning

Back