Need help choosing a trigger

I am in the market for a new trigger to replace a mil-spec trigger in one of my AR's. This trigger will probably be used about 50/50 for bench shooting and hunting. I have read good reviews on the Geissele SSA-E, but I am also intrigued with what a few people have said about the Velocity drop-in single stage triggers. I was just wondering what you guys thought about these two triggers? The velocity is almost half the price of the Geissele, but price isn't everything. So for the ones that have tried these, what would you recommend?

Thanks

Haven't tried the velocity, but I have one of the SSA-E and its bad a$$. Also have a Geissele SD-3G and a Timney single stage 3lb. Geissele hands down.

Also I've owned a RRA 2 stage and it was ok but still not a Geiselle.

Last edited:
Unless you're shooting competition, the RR 2-stage is a good choice. I own them and they are very good hunting triggers.

I've read some reports on here from guys saying the new RRA 2 stage varmint trigger is very nice. Again my experience was with the regular 2 stage about 8 years ago and it was decent, but the varmint I think is a lighter poundage and is cheaper than the Geiselle. May be worth a look.

I'm a little concerned with the reviews about premature wear with the RRA Triggers. Seems like every site that I have pulled up has several people that say they had trouble with them.

I have 3 of these and IMO, it's an unbeatable option, considering you can find them for less than $100. I bought my first for 88 I believe and my next two for less than 80.
Getting harder and harder to find for that price.
(not the best by any means, but it's a 3.5lb drop in with a seriously short reset and take up)

Black Rain Ordinance Drop In Trigger
BRO-DIT

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NChunter89I'm a little concerned with the reviews about premature wear with the RRA Triggers. Seems like every site that I have pulled up has several people that say they had trouble with them.

I've read that RRA addressed that problem...? I have a couple and really like them for the price.

I would say for a drop in you might consider the BTE. Very consistent and can be run hard. I have four of them and two Timneys along with a G. I like the BTE over the Timeny but realistically they will never beat the Cadillac High Speed from G if pure accuracy work is done. Six ounces is a far cry from 3 pounds.

Greg

My son put in a Velocity 3 lb single stage drop-in trigger in his ar 15 and LOVES IT! I think you should consider the Velocity - about $150.

get the RRA VARMINT trigger I bought 2 for 62 each when RRA had them on special. note this is a different trigger than the national match that most people get from RRA. The varmint is as good pull wise as pretty much anything out there. I am big believer in 2 stage triggers, especially for coyote hunting. take up the first stage while you are bringing the crosshairs where they need to be, a little more squeeze and the shot goes exactly where its supposed to. don't know if its other parts of AR ergos or a combo of both vertical grip and 2 stage trigger and I just seem to hit everything I aim at.

Originally Posted By: roky0702Originally Posted By: NChunter89I'm a little concerned with the reviews about premature wear with the RRA Triggers. Seems like every site that I have pulled up has several people that say they had trouble with them.

I've read that RRA addressed that problem...? I have a couple and really like them for the price.

Then I guess I got some "good" ones. Two of mine are 10+ years old and have sent 1,000s of rounds downrange with zero problems.

Another vote for anything Gessiele.

I have the high-speed national match DMR trigger and it's amazing. I adjust it down in weight for bench shooing and adjust it up for hunting.

+1 for the Gessiele.

My absolute favorite trigger in an AR. I've had a few cheaper ones, two timneys, and once I got a gessiele I decided that's all I'll buy from now on.

I was going through the same thing last week. My stock trigger was just too stiff. I bought the SSA-E and went to the range Friday. I'll just say it is perfect for both bench shooting and hunting.

Originally Posted By: swimmerMy son put in a Velocity 3 lb single stage drop-in trigger in his ar 15 and LOVES IT! I think you should consider the Velocity - about $150.

I have one also. Works great and mine came with anti-walk pins.

Back