CITY LIMITS COUGAR SIGHTING IN MICHIGAN.

randall729

A cougar was witnessed in the Ludington, Michigan city limits not long ago. The DNR listened but will not confirm this. It was very close to the school system and a neighborhood market of which kids and residents walk to frequently. Just wondering how other cities in our States would react to this. Do they wait for an incident occur with a wild animal or follow up as being concerned for the cities residents? Just looking for any comments about this. The story was in The Ludington Daily News paper on August, 06,2015.

Who cares, what's ur deal with all these pointless post u always make. Are u a reporter or something, just trying to stir up gossip and here say. Or are u scared to go outside and u need someone to tell u "ull be ok"
Post something worth while and relevant, otherwise IMO, shut up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: randall729A cougar was witnessed in the Ludington, Michigan city limits not long ago. The DNR listened but will not confirm this. It was very close to the school system and a neighborhood market of which kids and residents walk to frequently. Just wondering how other cities in our States would react to this. Do they wait for an incident occur with a wild animal or follow up as being concerned for the cities residents? Just looking for any comments about this. The story was in The Ludington Daily News paper on August, 06,2015.

Will not confirm the cougar sighting, or will not confirm that they actually listened???

99% of the time, before dispatch can round up the local game warden and get him on-site, the critter is going to be gone anyhow. Most of the calls they receive are simple sightings; the animal is not bothering anyone, it's simply passing through the area. So no... most game departments will not dispatch someone to look at a wild animal passing through the neighborhood. There was one case in Central Florida where a woman called in to report bears in her garage, no one was sent out. She went back out to watch to see if they left... 3 grown cubs did leave the garage, the sow didn't, thinking the coast was clear, she went to close the garage, placing herself between the sow and cubs. She survived, got beat up pretty good, no life threatening injuries, but then the game department sent someone out.

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77Who cares, what's ur deal with all these pointless post u always make. Are u a reporter or something, just trying to stir up gossip and here say. Or are u scared to go outside and u need someone to tell u "ull be ok"

The point of any web forum is to stir up discussion. Randall asked a question, that's what web forums are all about. YOU clicked on Randall's topic to enter and bytch about it, YOU had the option of ignoring it and not being bothered by it. If YOU have a problem with Randall's posts, YOU should refrain from reading them.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Originally Posted By: fredhorace77Who cares, what's ur deal with all these pointless post u always make. Are u a reporter or something, just trying to stir up gossip and here say. Or are u scared to go outside and u need someone to tell u "ull be ok"

The point of any web forum is to stir up discussion. Randall asked a question, that's what web forums are all about. YOU clicked on Randall's topic to enter and bytch about it, YOU had the option of ignoring it and not being bothered by it. If YOU have a problem with Randall's posts, YOU should refrain from reading them.

Rocky1, show me in the post where I ask u for ur pointless opinion. My reply was posted to randall. Take ur own advice and mind ur own business.

Originally Posted By: PredburnerWe dress the youngsters around here in bunny outfits and make the kids walk to school and draw the cougar out.....

LOL...

Originally Posted By: Rocky1

Strongly Agree Rocky1. You hit the nail on the head. It is important to stand up for those who the Trolls go after here. Some self policing is a good thing.

Yeah, fredhorace77 made ignore list. I don't have enough time to acknowledge all the good stuff on this forum, much less attitudes like that. I made an exception this time cause fh77 rubbed me the wrong way. Rocky1 hit the nail on the head.

Now that I've wasted 30 seconds of my life, on to the comments to the OP.

Cliff notes on what happened to me:

Saw a lion close to my property a few years ago.

Tracked it in snow on the north side of a ridge. Got pics of tracks, and other sign. Collected scat and preserved it in pvc pipe.

Called MO Dept. of Conservations "mountain lion hotline" 3 times, and sent several emails to MDC, all to no avail. Never even got a reply.

Shoulda told them I shot one and they woulda been there that afternoon.

Until just recently MDC has denied they were even here, until a couple were road killed in the area, and they started showin up on game cams. Now they say yeah there here, but not a reproducing population, just wanderin toms. Just passin through !!!

Originally Posted By: vanhornet

Called MO Dept. of Conservations "mountain lion hotline" 3 times, and sent several emails to MDC, all to no avail. Never even got a reply.

Yup. Not interested, there's no MONEY in it, til then.

Originally Posted By: vanhornetYeah, fredhorace77 made ignore list. I don't have enough time to acknowledge all the good stuff on this forum, much less attitudes like that. I made an exception this time cause fh77 rubbed me the wrong way. Rocky1 hit the nail on the head.

Now that I've wasted 30 seconds of my life, on to the comments to the OP.

Cliff notes on what happened to me:

Saw a lion close to my property a few years ago.

Tracked it in snow on the north side of a ridge. Got pics of tracks, and other sign. Collected scat and preserved it in pvc pipe.

Until just recently MDC has denied they were even here, until a couple were road killed in the area, and they started showin up on game cams. Now they say yeah there here, but not a reproducing population, just wanderin toms. Just passin through !!!

Like I said what's the point. So what u called them to report, so what there's one in missouri. There's nothing in the laws that says they are not allowed to be in that state. Ur crying because they didn't care to do anything about the supposed cat on Ur property. But if it was the other way around and they came in and removed a bunch of them, u would be on here whining about "why did they remove all of them". Either way Ur not happy and all u want to do is gripe and complaining about something u know nothing about.

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77
vanhornet said:
Yeah, fredhorace77 made ignore list. Like I said what's the point. So what u called them to report, so what there's one in missouri. There's nothing in the laws that says they are not allowed to be in that state. Ur crying because they didn't care to do anything about the supposed cat on Ur property. But if it was the other way around and they came in and removed a bunch of them, u would be on here whining about "why did they remove all of them". Either way Ur not happy and all u want to do is gripe and complaining about something u know nothing about.

Oh Freddie, Oooooh Freeddie,
Does your mommy know that you are playing on the computer while she is gone?
BTW do you know where Snow White is?

Missouri has had just about 50 well documented and confirmed mountain lion sightings since 1994. There is no secret, the MDC website is full of information about lions within the state. The statement about no reproducing population here is accurate, there has only been one female documented and no lion cubs ever documented here. Until there is actual evidence it would be bad science to claim anything other than what the MDC is currently and can only honestly now state. Unless you would prefer they just make some crap up to satisfy you?

Originally Posted By: GCMissouri has had just about 50 well documented and confirmed mountain lion sightings since 1994. There is no secret, the MDC website is full of information about lions within the state. The statement about no reproducing population here is accurate, there has only been one female documented and no lion cubs ever documented here. Until there is actual evidence it would be bad science to claim anything other than what the MDC is currently and can only honestly now state. Unless you would prefer they just make some crap up to satisfy you? Ding Ding Ding Ding......we have a winner!!!! One of the few here that actually knows what he's talking about.

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77Originally Posted By: Rocky1Originally Posted By: fredhorace77Who cares, what's ur deal with all these pointless post u always make. Are u a reporter or something, just trying to stir up gossip and here say. Or are u scared to go outside and u need someone to tell u "ull be ok"

Rocky1, show me in the post where I ask u for ur pointless opinion. My reply was posted to randall. Take ur own advice and mind ur own business.

Well that sorta flies both ways FreddieBoy... Randall didn't ask for your opinion either!

Does your mommy know you're playing on the computer???

Originally Posted By: GCMissouri has had just about 50 well documented and confirmed mountain lion sightings since 1994. There is no secret, the MDC website is full of information about lions within the state. The statement about no reproducing population here is accurate, there has only been one female documented and no lion cubs ever documented here. Until there is actual evidence it would be bad science to claim anything other than what the MDC is currently and can only honestly now state. Unless you would prefer they just make some crap up to satisfy you?

What you say is true, but, if you reread my post you will see that I never asked for anything, except maybe a call back or something, and did not deny what I have read about the population.

Satisfy me ??? THEY have a "hotline" to report any sightings and whatnot .... They were asking for OUR help, but apparently weren't interested.

Originally Posted By: fredhorace77[Ding Ding Ding Ding......we have a winner!!!! One of the few here that actually knows what he's talking about.

Like YOU would know anything about winners

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vanhornetOriginally Posted By: GCMissouri has had just about 50 well documented and confirmed mountain lion sightings since 1994. There is no secret, the MDC website is full of information about lions within the state. The statement about no reproducing population here is accurate, there has only been one female documented and no lion cubs ever documented here. Until there is actual evidence it would be bad science to claim anything other than what the MDC is currently and can only honestly now state. Unless you would prefer they just make some crap up to satisfy you?

What you say is true, but, if you reread my post you will see that I never asked for anything, except maybe a call back or something, and did not deny what I have read about the population.

Satisfy me ??? THEY have a "hotline" to report any sightings and whatnot .... They were asking for OUR help, but apparently weren't interested.

Agreed, they certainly should have returned your phone call. The failure to do that could be caused by several things, human error, technical trouble of the phone system, ect. Or, perhaps pure laziness, I dunno. If I felt strongly enough about it I would have called the HQ in Jefferson City and spoke directly to a living being rather than trust what must be a pretty big communications system there.

However, your post to me does read as being doubtful of the MDC statements and acknowledgement of the mountain lions status within the state. And that simply isn't the case. MDC has been forthcoming and transparent with information about lions in the state as the department learns more about them and gathers credible information.

Last edited:
"Lions" are being sighted more and more in Michigan. This is a state where not commonly abundant. When I ask a question, I feel the other PM members may have comments from their home states. I just want to learn from other members and would gladly offer any info from what I know in my state to all members interested. Thank you all for your comments but by all means feel you have to comment on my part.

Back