BCA Side Charging Billet upper receiver - anybody tried one?

Originally Posted By: crowdog7Thanks, I like that it's non-reciprocating.

It is reciprocating... Edit,, was looking at one in pic... My bad...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crowdog7I don't know that I saw any of your builds, the discription of the side charging upper on the New Frontiers website lists it as "non reciprocating".
https://newfrontierarmory.com/shop/side-charging-ar-15-stripped-billet-upper-receiver/

edit to add location of referenced upper.

Yeah they are awesome side chargers. I have some parts coming now. And guido seems like a good dude. Still want to try this bear creek once acloco gives an update and preview after shooting it too. Not sure if the reciprocating would bother me. I shoot a semi auto shotgun sometimes, and can't say I've noticed any issues. But it is less stuff moving.

Loaded fifty 223 rounds after work. Called a buddy to see if he would like to make a quick range trip with me (his wife is having some purse party this evening).

Made my final preparations after putting everything in range bag and gun case. Thought...hmmm...I should make sure the rounds chamber.

The round chambered fine, but would not eject. Grabbed a cleaning rod and barely had to push the round out. I know the brand of barrel that I purchased, generally, are close to minimum dimension chambers.

Tried a second round. Same thing. Buddy was now sitting in the driveway. I figured the extractor must not be quite right, so, grabbed a spare bolt from a complete BCG....just in case.

On the way out to the range, pulled the new BCG, separated the B and CG...and immediately noticed my problem. The bolt is NOT for a 223, but must be for the 6.8 spc or 7.62x39 bolthead. Unreal.

Swapped my bolt into the carrier, checked headspace, and proceeded on to the range.

I just checked again....but did not see an option for bolthead/cartridge.

Function (other than wrong size of bolthead) is excellent. Still happy with fit, finish, and function.

Will email Bear Creek and ask about the bolthead size.

acloco, shilen did the same thing to me with a 204 ruger barrel and matched bolt. The bolt I got was for a 6.8 spc case. Wouldn't extract right, thought it was a magazine issue. I threw a different 223 bcg in and it shot lights out. But for them to number the barrel and bolt the same is frustrating. It tells me they just drop in a bolt from a pile of them and if it fits it's numbered. They don't chamber to a specific bolt like they said they do. Couldn't figure out what was wrong since I changed the bcg. Then one day while looking over extra parts I realized the bolt was thinner than the 223 bolt next to it. So sure enough it was a 6.8 that fit in there. Very frustrating. Hope you get this fixed ok.

Actually laughing at myself. I usually (have to say "usually" now) checked headspace prior to assembly...but did not this time.

Have you ever found one with bad headspace? I've been lucky enough so far. Is his the same bear creek that sells the low cost ar15 barrels through another online place?

EC - no, never have found one that headspaced long.

Funny thing is, this is usually the FIRST item I do, not the last.

I don't know on the barrels.

I buy melonite/nitride barrels from:

http://www.customar15.net/shop/barrels-ar-15-upper-receivers/18%e2%80%b3-416r-stainless-5r-melonite-socom-barrel-wylde-chamber-18-twist-5-56-223-spr/

The SOCOM weight is the "right weight" of barrel (IMHO) - not too heavy, but enough to be stiff. Would not mind a 20" barrel, but 18" works well. REALLY appreciate that the barrel extension is not mel/nit. ...and rifle length gas system works rather well across the 50 to 80 gr bullets that I run in the AR's.

I am considering a side charging upper for a .20 practical build but I am not really sure why I am drawn to a side charger other than it being different and maybe a bit more handy bench shooting sage rats. What are the reasons to use side charging vs traditional charging handle. The downside would be lack of interchangeability with BCG and Chg handles I already have.

Originally Posted By: jk2paintworxI am considering a side charging upper for a .20 practical build but I am not really sure why I am drawn to a side charger other than it being different and maybe a bit more handy bench shooting sage rats. What are the reasons to use side charging vs traditional charging handle. The downside would be lack of interchangeability with BCG and Chg handles I already have.

If you use the new frontier armory your bolt carriers will work. All you change out is the cam pin that they send you with the upper, it's non reciprocating, and the charging handle is 1 less thing you need to buy. I've been going with the bigger charging handle pulls lately, and those are getting expensive. The side charger is ready to go. I like them because the charging handle isn't in the way of some stocks I set up with cheek rests, and some scope setups are close to the charging handle if you use it a lot. And shooting suppressed there is no gas blowback to your face from the charging handle. And some people just prefer the ergonomics better. Plus it's just different. I actually prefer the NFA side chargers to the mil spec uppers I have, and the dpms hi rider uppers I use on my varmint rigs too. You can use the side charger as a forward assist since some of my slick side uppers don't have the forward assist. And sometimes I don't want to slam the bolt closed while chambering a round when hunting. Although that isn't an issue much. It's like anything with these ar15 builds, it's about preference. I will say that people that try one, usually want one next.

And acloco, what did bearcreek say about the wrong bolt they sent with your upper? And wondering if you had any other issues after some more use?

Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury

And acloco, what did bearcreek say about the wrong bolt they sent with your upper? And wondering if you had any other issues after some more use?

Only the automated reply from BCA (2x)...so far.

No other issues.

Ya they don't seem to communicate very well with customers.

I did just receive my side charge upper and Bear Claw barrel and everything looks awesome so far.

Back