Best Caliber For Wolves?

lonewolf2

I'm wanting to re barrel my 22-250 to something better suited to a dedicated wolf rifle and can't settle on a caliber. I've been looking at everything from a 243 up to a 308. What's everybody else using as a dedicated wolf calling caliber? My 22-250 has killed wolves but has a 1-14 twist and will not shoot any heavier than 55gr bullets. I'm looking for more knock down power at distance with a heavier gr bullet.

Well if you want more knock down power at distance, you probably want something in 6mm. So a 243 sounds about perfect. Might buck the wind better also. The 243 bullets are more slippery that most 308 bullets.

Certainly nothing wrong with a .243 and they are a great universal cartridge but something to think about is just rebarreling your current 22-250 with a fast twist barrel. They make .22 cal bullets all the way up to 90 grains and if you're already set up to reload 22-250 it'll save you a little coin as well. Maybe even take a look at doing a 22-250 Ackley Improved. There isn't a very big gain in case capacity but you'll trim cases a whole lot less and even though it's small the extra gain in case capacity makes for a nice setup with the heavier bullets, too.

I'd rebarrel the 22-250 to a faster twist and shoot a heavier bullet.

Or a 6mm or some sort, a 243 Win or 6x47Lapua (just because I have a 243 and 6br and 6x45 already).

But just a WAG as I have never shot a wolf.

Originally Posted By: lonewolf2I'm looking for more knock down power at distance with a heavier gr bullet.

6.5 Creedmoor perhaps? Bullets up to 140 grains and long distance capable. It can also double for most anything else you may want to harvest.

1/7 twist 22-250 and shoot the 75-90gr bullets, the 90gr Berger puts out great numbers even against the best of the 243 and 6.5 creed crowd.

Sub 1,000yds it'd be good to go

Lone wolf- i have only shot one wolf. that was with a 30-06. you have more experience than me. i would get a 25-06 rem 700 long range or sendero. i believe the longer cartridge would feed great in the cold there too. i do like the .243 .

Something you didn't mention and I never thought to ask, are looking for something you can buy off the rack at your local gun shop, yes/no???

If that's the case a fast twist 22-250 so you can shoot the heavy for caliber bullets would be out, because nobody sells one like that from the factory. I think 1-9tw is fastest you can get any 22-250 factory gun.

If you're limited to buying a factory built gun, depending on how heavy a bullet you want to shoot, a .243 may not work very well either because I don't think any factory .243's come with a twist much faster than a 1-9. That would be fine for most of the 24cal bullets, just not the heavies.

You very well could be better off going with one of the 6.5's like the Creedmoor, 260 Remington,6.5x55 Swede. The 260 Rem. would be my personal favorite of the two. You can get a Tikka chambered in 260 Rem or 6.5x55 Swede. with a 1-8tw and either of those with a 1-8tw would cover a pretty wide range for you and certainly give you plenty of stopping power on wolves.

A little different fast twist 22/250 Ackley improved. Shoot heavy bullets with authority. Or use your 22/250 brass you already have an go 6mm/250. With a 1/8 twist. An shoot 75gr on up to 105 gr. The 6mm/250 will do any thing that a 243 will do.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeHe did say rebarrel...

Wow, and I reread it even. What's that about the mind only see's what it wants to see. lol

That's ok, I was really just giving him a good excuse to buy another gun.
thumbup.gif

I have a friend wo has taken two wolves in Canada. He used a. 243 for whatever it's worth. I don't remember what bullet.

Back