What powder / bullet for YOUR Creedmoor?

Hidalgo

Let's share some information about the 6.5 Creedmoor for those who may already have one, and those who may be getting one.

Post the powder / bullet combinations that you have settled upon in your rifle. No need to designate the powder charges.

The best I have found for my personal rifle:

IMR4064 with 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunters

H4350 with Nosler 130 grain Accubonds

Haven't done much experimenting since one of my first loads worked so well. Couldn't find H4350 so went with IMR4350 and Reloader 17. Both shot under 1/2 inch with 140 Amaxes. Haven't tried a lighter bullet. This is out of a Ruger American Predator. Love this rifle and this load, but would like to try some lighter bullets.

I have a Ruger American Predator as well. The only bullet I have used so far is the 123 gr Amax and have no intentions of trying another, I like the BC it offers while maintaining velocities over the 140s. I went through a few powders when I was looking for a load and RL17 was a decent performer, Varget was disappointing, and surprise surprise Hodgdon Superformance was easily the top performer.

I don't recall who but someone on the forum told me to give it a try and I was skeptical but after finding the magic charge the first 5 shot group went .353 and my groups have averaged real close to that. Last trip out I was averaging 2955 fps across the chronograph which was pleasantly surprising from 22" barrel.

2 weeks ago I took an antelope at 389 yards with that load and the following Saturday a coyote at 464 yards. It just flat out performs.

Hidalgo, I'm using 120 gr. scenars with that superformance powder Fairchase is talking about, I think that I'm the one he is referring to. That stuff is wicked out out of the creedmoor.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: ZHaven't done much experimenting since one of my first loads worked so well. Couldn't find H4350 so went with IMR4350 and Reloader 17. Both shot under 1/2 inch with 140 Amaxes. Haven't tried a lighter bullet. This is out of a Ruger American Predator. Love this rifle and this load, but would like to try some lighter bullets.

Z, try the 120 Sierra Pro Hunters. They aren't the best long range bullet, but the accuracy with IMR4064 out to 300 yards (haven't tried them past that) is amazing out of my rifle. If anyone is looking for a under 300 yard hunting bullet for deer/antelope sized game they would be a great choice IMO.

H-4350, but really thinking about trying the new Enduron line.

123 SMK, 136 Scenar-L, and 140 AMAX. The 123 SMK shoots lights out in mine right at 3000 fps, but that is pushing the top. 136 and 140 shoot best about 2775.

That is in a Bartlein 1-8" twist.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrHidalgo, I'm using 120 gr. scenars with that superformance powder Fairchase is talking about, I think that I'm the one he is referring to. That stuff is wicked out out of the creedmoor.
thumbup1.gif

I believe your right. I owe you a big thank you. I had a pound of superformance sitting around and it had always disappointed in everything I tried and had not even considered it in the creed. It just works!!!

Hidalgo, I was using the 140 Amax because of it's long range capabilities. But I have plenty of 4064 and that is what I use in my 308 so I will have to give your combo a try.

Fairchase, I had a jar of Superformance sitting around collecting dust so I tried it also, but didn't get as good of results as with the 4350 and R-17. Might need to do some more testing.

My hunting partner is shooting h4350 with the 129 barnes long range, killed several deer with them this year so far, no bad issues. Sub 1/2" accuracy was achieved fast. He shot a 140 lb buck this week facing him, bullet broke a front shoulder and rear hip as it exited.

Last two years he had great luck with the 120g Sierra, 120g Nosler, 125g Nolser partition,129g SST, 129g Sp on penetration, and did not get penetration on the 130g Berger hunting...he will not use that one again as blood trails are important here in the thick where we hunt.

He has great luck with all 140's in his custom 6.5x55 Sweede, 140g Sierra btsp is the easiest to tune for accuracy, and great on game.

Last edited:
760 and RL17 with 130 nosler accubond and superformance with both the 140 and 123 amax. case life with moderate loads is good I'm on my 5th cycle and no issues. accuracy hovers about 5/8 of an 1" at 100 yards. this is out of a weatherby vanguard 24" barrel 1:8 twist. I'm happy the daughter isn't as this was supposed to be her rifle.....lol

Originally Posted By: ZHidalgo, I was using the 140 Amax because of it's long range capabilities. But I have plenty of 4064 and that is what I use in my 308 so I will have to give your combo a try.

Fairchase, I had a jar of Superformance sitting around collecting dust so I tried it also, but didn't get as good of results as with the 4350 and R-17. Might need to do some more testing.

Not that it means diddly squat in your rifle but I'll share my load if you'd like.

Originally Posted By: NWShooter69760 and RL17 with 130 nosler accubond....

I'm happy the daughter isn't as this was supposed to be her rifle.....lol

That's what some others are using, but I can't get RL-17 to shoot in my rifle.
huh.gif

And give the girl her rifle back !!!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: FairChase93Hornady 9th addition manual. I'll get you a pm sent in a minute Z.

Yeah, I found it. Forgot I had the new Hornady manual.
blushing.gif

H-4350 140 gr berger hunting, holds less than 1 moa at 300 yards. and did number on an antelope at 100 yards. tomorrow will be trying it on elk

I have two loads for mine
130gr Berger H-VLD with 43.5gr/H4350 seated to 2.170" off ogive
123gr Hornady A-Max with 44.7gr H4350 seated to 2.215" off ogive

Back