Favorite predator knife?

Well Joe... are you going to show us what you've come up with?
smile.gif

tnyhunter, sure, things have been pretty wild around here with hunting season and some nice upgrades to the shop, so I haven't had much time to work on these, but here is where im at with them.

411774038.jpg

this one was the one that I had in my head. it is a modified small paring knife. this one will be going with me when I find some time to go coyote hunting and will also give it a workout on small game. I think it needs some drop to the handle, and I will probably make one with the finger guard moved back to where it sits between the first and second fingers and see how I like that.

411774039.jpg

this is my personal carter pattern necker, which is the first one out of 440c stainless. I have been carrying it for a couple months, and dressed out and skinned my antelope and my boys first ever antelope a couple weeks ago. this pattern is a great light use all arounder, but the blade is a bit wide for {I imagine, as I haven't done it} splitting the tail on a coyote.

411774041.jpg

this one is a modified carter pattern necker, with a narrower blade, I like it a lot as the narrower blade makes turning in cuts much nicer, and I think it would work good for the tail.

411774040.jpg

this one is pretty much the next one up, only in 440c and with a different finish.

McCrosky sells a Trapper Set that is the best you will put your hands on

mccroskeyknives.com

I skinned and butcher'd 8 deer, then loaded it to another fellow that had a custom knife that got dull, the single knife would still shave you after 10 deer.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanMcCrosky sells a Trapper Set that is the best you will put your hands on

mccroskeyknives.com

I skinned and butcher'd 8 deer, then loaded it to another fellow that had a custom knife that got dull, the single knife would still shave you after 10 deer.

That's a lot of performance out of ATS-34.

Thats unreal performance for ATS-34 Originally Posted By: ackleymanMcCrosky sells a Trapper Set that is the best you will put your hands on

mccroskeyknives.com

That's a lot of performance out of ATS-34. [/quote]

Ever looked at a silver stag? Made in the USA and really good knives. Lots of different styles to chose from. I've got the cascade hunter and it's been the best knife I've ever owned. Get the d2 tool steel. That's some good stuff.

Smokeless and RePete,
I'm interested in doing something similar to my KOA knife as well. Did you guys re-use the original brass pins? I have some deer antler I'd like to try, but I'm not sure what I'm doing.....

Sorry for the thread hijack.
tt2.gif

I use a case little devil. 2 1/2 inch blade. Drop point with a nice curve to the whole knife. I would like a 3 1/4;inch blade and a little more handle. If anybody knows of a source of this knife let me know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: ackleymanMcCrosky sells a Trapper Set that is the best you will put your hands on

mccroskeyknives.com

McCrosky knives are like nothing you have every used...promise...Taxidermists and trappers skinning beavers will back me up 100% on this

I just received the 4" Chicago cutlery 4" skinning knife from Minnesota Trapline Products. (cuz of earlier above post) I already know it's gonna be a GREAT knife to skin canines. Nice handle and a stiff blade that ends in a point meant for detailed cuts. Not sure yet how long the edge lasts...ain't broke it in yet. Under $10.

I'm sure the $100 knives work well, too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: ackleymanMcCrosky sells a Trapper Set that is the best you will put your hands on

mccroskeyknives.com

Cryo'd twice

I know and hear a lot of BS on the internet about knives, I want a working knife...McCroskey's are unreal, and exactly as I have explained. The McCroskey guys hunt and skin a lot of big game...they set the standard on high quality knives that are worthy of putting in your Will and passing down to the next generation!

Rick Menefee uses three temper cycles and two cryogenic cycles. I doubt that among the top knife makers in the world that there are a lot of heat treatment secrets unknown in the trade.

Originally Posted By: GCRick Menefee uses three temper cycles and two cryogenic cycles. I doubt that among the top knife makers in the world that there are a lot of heat treatment secrets unknown in the trade.

Horse Hockey.....just like rifles.....the knife I like and use is clearly the best.....period.....close thread.....

Back