BCA Side Charging Billet upper receiver - anybody tried one?

That seems really cheap for including the bcg. I really like and prefer side chargers now. Especially if using a can. I'm only familiar with the new frontier armory side charger though. I've never heard of bear creek until your link.

They have been around a little while at least. Have never seen any of their products in person though.

One of the above is on the way.....we shall see.

Interesting. Please do update the thread after you get a chance to check it out. What caliber are you building on it? My side charger is on the left side. So I'd be interested in hearing if this is a good deal.

Eugene Canterbury - I actually like having the charging handle on the right side. If a person IS having a problem, makes more sense to hold forend in left hand, while opening bolt on right side with EYES on the right side as well. ....at least for a right hand dominant person.
smile.gif

"This combo is perfect for a bolt action/Semi auto build." I didn't know an AR upper could be used for a bolt action build...
confused.gif
Sorry, I can't help but to feel skeptical about a company when there is an obvious error such as this on their business website. That is almost a too good to be true price as well. I guess we'll see when acloco gives us a review. I love my Gibbz Arms (same as New Frontier or Joebob's) side charger on my precision .223 upper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roky0702"This combo is perfect for a bolt action/Semi auto build." I didn't know an AR upper could be used for a bolt action build...
confused.gif
Sorry, I can't help but to feel skeptical about a company when there is an obvious error such as this on their business website. That is almost a too good to be true price as well. I guess we'll see when acloco gives us a review. I love my Gibbz Arms (same as New Frontier or Joebob's) side charger on my precision .223 upper.

Can't you just shut the gas system off and use the side charger as a bolt action?

Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury Can't you just shut the gas system off and use the side charger as a bolt action?

I guess I wouldn't think of that as "bolt action." If that is what they mean, then I take back my earlier statement. That's a great price for a billet side charger, hopefully it functions just as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: roky0702Originally Posted By: Eugene Canterbury Can't you just shut the gas system off and use the side charger as a bolt action?

I guess I wouldn't think of that as "bolt action." If that is what they mean, then I take back my earlier statement. That's a great price for a billet side charger, hopefully it functions just as well.

Yeah, straight pull bolt action. Only way you could legally hunt with an AR format in PA. Gonna check these out - thinking of one as a basis for a AR-based bench/varmint gun considering all the good AR components out there now.

Let us know tomorrow please! I'm ordering either one of these or a new frontier side charger again. Actually a few of them I think. Side charger is the way to go for me now.

Package arrived, safe and sound. Will give more details later on this evening. Did have a minute to check fit on a new lower - PERFECT. Tight. No slop.

In the last couple of days, thinking about this purchase in terms of cost versus standard flat top.

A4 Billet flat top = $100
BCG = $100
Charging handle = $25

Total = $225

BCA billet, side charging upper with BCG (includes charging handle) $186

Will weigh the upper and check how true the face is later this evening.

Second impressions....STILL impressed.

Weight, compared to a Billet A4 upper: 3.4 oz heavier.
Body of upper is double the thickness
Bolt carrier is NOT nitride or melonited, but nearly the right color and feel.

The carrier IS DRILLED to use the bolt handle on either side. So, if a person had a mill, it WOULD be possible to have a left side charging with right eject. Believe the upper is plenty thick enough for the amount of metal to be removed.

Fit - checked fit with an Anderson (integral trigger guard) and a MAG magnesium lower. Nothing short of superb. Tight. No gap. No slop.

Checked the bore for the carrier with a PTG and Wheeler Engineering upper truing mandrel. Very good fit, in terms of consistent diameter.

Checked the receiver face to barrel extension squareness - not perfect, but closer than any forged or billet upper I have used in the past.

Fit to normal aesthetic lines of either lower - good. Almost every brand changes the externals a touch.

Checked upper to forend fit - perfect. The rail actually lines up with the particular brand of 15" forends that I use in most of my builds.

Picatinny is NOT T marked - if that is a consideration for anybody.

Bolt carrier is NOT m-gun cut.

Would I buy another......based on the above....YES...without hesitation.

Obviously have not assembled the upper and use it though.

Thanks for the update. This sounds like a heck of a deal to get into for side chargers. Hopefully you can throw up some pictures when you get done and find some time. Good stuff.

When I built my 6x45 a few years ago, the LAR OPS-4 side charger was nearly twice that price. That is a steal! I think one of those will end up in my safe just to have.

Originally Posted By: acloco

BCA billet, side charging upper with BCG (includes charging handle) $186

I checked last night they was 186,, Today they are now 208... Bump the price up 22 bucks in less than 12 hrss

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelWhen I built my 6x45 a few years ago, the LAR OPS-4 side charger was nearly twice that price. That is a steal! I think one of those will end up in my safe just to have.

Of interest, the Bear Creek Arsenal upper looks IDENTICAL to the build in your picture.

Rifle is built. MIGHT be able to get out this evening to toss some rounds downrange.

When I removed the upper from the packaging, I thought the walls of the receiver "looked" thick. But, after assembly, the sides do not stick out past the round of the buffer extension on the lower.

Will get some pictures posted late tonight....hopefully after a short range trip.

Back