Shimming a scope

yotehunter243

When I mount my scope on my muzzleloader the bell just touches the barrel. I really don't want to spend $80 on new 30 mm rings. So does anyone have any pointers?

I have cut shotgun shells for scope shims . They already have the curve
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CBHI have cut pieces from a pop can for shims many times! Works great!

This is how I have it mounted. Just wasn't sure if anyone had better ideas. I shoot 120 gr of blackhorn 209, 375 gr barnes bullet out of a .52 cal knight. Needless to say it has a little recoil and wasn't sure how the pop can shims would hold. So far so good

Originally Posted By: CBHI have cut pieces from a pop can for shims many times! Works great!

My previous post was incorrect. I have done this and it worked fine.

That said, I did it to correct for an inability to zero the scope at the desired range. I would not want to use more than a couple layers.

I had used 2 layers on mine. I went ahead and ordered new rings today. I couldn't stop thinking the one time the shims didn't work would be on a 150" buck

My 40X 25-06 has had a Coke can shim under the rear base for years. That was the only way that I could get enough up out of the scope to go to 1000. I could have gone with a 20 moa base and new rings, but I'm cheap.

I hated to spend the money 2 night ago a dropped a $2000 bow 30' from my treestands and it hit ever step on the way down, and I just finished up a 264 win mag build and just replaced some electronics on my 4 wheeler. But guess the wife will get over it haha

I have shimmed many scopes, most for optical zero....I always just purchased the ready made shims from Brownell's, not that there is a problem with shims cut from a beer can, I have also had to use them. I have yet to see a scope shim "fail." Would someone please explain exactly how a one piece thin metal shim with no moving parts, properly installed {there's some real rocket science} and locked in place under a scope base "fails"???? Exploded, threw a rod, rusted away to nothing, warped from heat, what?????

Originally Posted By: msincI have shimmed many scopes, most for optical zero....I always just purchased the ready made shims from Brownell's, not that there is a problem with shims cut from a beer can, I have also had to use them. I have yet to see a scope shim "fail." Would someone please explain exactly how a one piece thin metal shim with no moving parts, properly installed {there's some real rocket science} and locked in place under a scope base "fails"???? Exploded, threw a rod, rusted away to nothing, warped from heat, what?????

They are typically not as precisely constructed as a good base. There is always the potential for something to shift, say if the optics take a hit. Not that I believe this to be a likely scenario and I never had it happen with the one gun I (still) have set up with shims.

Originally Posted By: msincI have shimmed many scopes, most for optical zero....I always just purchased the ready made shims from Brownell's, not that there is a problem with shims cut from a beer can, I have also had to use them. I have yet to see a scope shim "fail." Would someone please explain exactly how a one piece thin metal shim with no moving parts, properly installed {there's some real rocket science} and locked in place under a scope base "fails"???? Exploded, threw a rod, rusted away to nothing, warped from heat, what?????

+1^^^^^^^

Regards,
hm

Back