Pulsar APEX XD50 field report

Works pretty good so far.
thumbup.gif

4%20dog%20night_zpsbflaitru.jpg

Yep so does mine....the PIP sure is nice plus the ability to adjust brightness and contrast has been nice. I took this coyote last Sunday morning at 12:30 in the UP of Michigan...took big dog and 3rd place in the competition.

The rifle is a Franklin Armory F17-v4 17 WSM.

IMG_20151018_212908_zpsx55vyii5.jpg

IMG952015101895212757_zpsar1udirf.jpg

Originally Posted By: 1loboPretty impressive. Tell us more please.

Well, that's one nights work. 5 stands. I will say the thermal scope is the biggest game changer I've ever experienced in predator hunting. Last year I was scanning with a PS32 and shooting with a photon XT digital. Half the time I would pick them up with the PS32 and not be able to find them with the digital scope. With this APEX there is no way I won't find them. While this is the only thermal scope I've used, I'm amazed at the image quality. I could see blood spray at about 100 yds on one of those dogs with the scope.

I haven't used the PIP yet. I'm still getting comfortable with the scope right now. I bought this one mostly because I'm left handed and all the controls are on the right side. This allows me to hold the gun with my shooting hand on a bi-pod and make adjustments with my right hand. So far that has been great. Last year I struggled because all the adjustments were on the left hand side of the XT.

A couple draw backs I've noticed so far is the time it takes to boot up when you turn it on (seems like 10+ seconds) and the way it eats batteries. I have a bunch of rechargeable so the battery issue is more a change them each stand issue. More on that as I get a better grasp on up time per change. The other issue is the front focus ring seems crude without a wide range of adjustment, but once you get focused the image quality is fantastic.

Thanks David,
I am very happy with this combo. It took me a year of research before I ordered the upper from Franklin Armory. It runs without a hitch and is very accurate. The Apex XD50a thermal scope along with my thermal scanner has really proven to be a deadly setup.

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisVictor,

I may be interested?

What is the special price for PM members??

Thank you!!

Hi Poppadopalis, please message me here. Thank you.

Vic

I have not heard one sour note on the XD50A units. Seems like they are a pretty decent unit. Anybody have any issues? Is focus pretty constant throughout the range? Does anything change with recoil on larger calibers? What is the recommended max caliber? Found another good source for these at Predator Hunter Outdoors. A lot of folks are starting to source these scopes. Not all of them have stock though. I put one on order this afternoon and am looking forward to the death of a few dogs.

To clarify, I do not have the XD50A. I have the XD50 with the OLED screen. The XD50A has the LCD display. The LCD will give you an 8X magnification where the OLED will only give you a 4X magnification. I went with the OLED because I often hunt in sub 0 degree weather and was told the LCD screen may have difficulties in those conditions.

1LOBO, my only complaint is the battery life with rechargable 16340 suck. I'm talking less than 30 minutes suck. And the unit just shuts off when the batteries get low, which cost me a canine this week. I'll be placing an order for one of the Pulsar battery packs this week.

BTW - #5 from last night.

5_zpsmqaqjsda.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on the fifth coyote. You are definitely doing some good hunting with that thermal. The battery life that you experienced is pretty short. Sounds to me like it shouldn't be that short. I would wonder if something was going on in the unit you have. I've been looking at the battery pack also and wondering if it would have to be from pulsar. They have a good battery pack, but the price seems a little too salty to me.

I wasn't aware of the screen differences between the two models. I thought it was mostly the pip thing. The oled screen would seem to be the best option, especially in cold times. It gets cold in this part of the country too, but I don't plan to punish myself like that. I admire your fortitude though. I would think that most electronics are going to be troublesome in cold weather. I'll leave that judgement to the more hardy folk.

Guys both units are rated for 5 degrees to 122 degrees. Outside of the screen difference the HD50 has "IRIS technology, increased recognition and detection software"

Stupidnewbie keep knocking those guys over...your really tearing them up!...congrats.

stupidnewbe, I think you've got an issue with your unit. Now way should it have such short battery life. I just heard from a good friend that his goes beyond that by quite a bit. Something is going on that you ought to consult Sightmark about. If it were mine, I'd be on the phone with them about it. I've got one on order, so I ought to be able to give you some first hand experience with the battery life on mine. I also ordered the rechargeable pack to go with it, but I'll run it without that to see what sort of battery life to expect. I don't expect mine till sometime next week, so the coyotes are going to have to get along without the thermal pressure here. Ha!

Yeah mine did it again tonight. I've got to wonder if it is the batteries though. I bought 12 rechargables off Amazon. I know they came from China like all the rest. I'm going to buy a set of non-rechargables and just burn them up to see how long they last.

The only reason I have not gone to the external battery so far is my unit came with a mini - DVR and up until today I had to choose between using the external battery or the recorder. I saw today though that UNV has a duel charger/recorder cable available for this unit now.
w00t.gif

Back