Bloody y0uth deer hunt~ shake rattle and role

Infidel 762

Staff member
It always starts between the autumnal equinox and the winter solstice... Where I choose to bide all my fall... Away and meanwhile... Some where in North West Oklahoma... A lot of nothings and almost... Almost, yet just out of bow range;

Season changes to youth and we set out... Crisp morning air as we creep down a sandy 2 track.. In the pre-dawn darkness, sandplum thickets reach out over the trail... Their fingers scratch the edge of my daughter's clothing... I whisper my concerns and slow our approach the closer we get to the stand.. It's coming, I can feel it...

Bobwhite quail cry out as the dark fades to light... Some are just on the edge of hearing... Sprite light begins to illuminate the horizon... Everything wrong is right again... Opening morning;

A lot of the smaller bucks are still traveling in bachelor groups... A couple were showing pre-rut activity with light sparing... Not what we are looking for, yet their presence keeps us sharp as knives balanced on a pin head;

My tactics for this hunt was to rattle in staging areas just off food plots and travel routes to bedding areas in the mornings... It was warm for hunting deer... We hunted dusk and dawn and skipped mid-day;

This year I let my daughter do the rattling... A few minutes after a rattle series, she whispers "there is a deer"... He came in from behind us on her side... I look and this deer is less than 20 yards... He was standing facing away from us... I whisper to my daughter, "wait till he turns broadside"... All at once he pranced off... A couple minutes later he appears in an opening in front of us... This is the best pic I could get with my iPhone, my hands were kinda shacking;

I whisper "I am going to stop him, when I do shoot him"... I "meep" and he stops... I waited for what seemed an eternity and then "CRACK"... As he ran off I could tell he was hit... We waited about 30 minutes then crept down.. We found him 80 or 90 yards from where he was shot;

This is her first buck that she rattled in herself.

My hands were shakin', she was a rattling and then she rolled him! 158 2/8 green score...

I have history with this deer... The previous years lack of antler growth increased his shelf life, which was destined to end...

Oklahoma Youth Hunt 2015

Very well done. Congrats to your daughter and to a great dad. And she did it in her own boots!

Can I send my daughter to Oklahoma so she can learn from your daughter? lol

Very nice!

I sure do love watching the young ones, especially the girls, get out and be successful! That is what it is all about right there. And suppressed, nice touch! How old is your daughter this year?

That is a very nice buck too!

Awesome deer! You did a great job raising this one. Hearty congratulations to both for a job well done.
thumbup.gif

Congratulations Jeremy and "Miss Jeremy". Very nice buck and nicely done!

Had to get amused at dad's buck fever. Isn't it strange, Jeremy, how one "outgrows" buck fever after a few years hunting but has a severe relapse when it comes around to time for the offspring to take the shot years later?
wink.gif
I remember well.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Thanks for the kind words all..

Originally Posted By: AzDiamondHeat

Can I send my daughter to Oklahoma so she can learn from your daughter? lol

Sure thing! She is teaching me now;)

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXVery nice!

I sure do love watching the young ones, especially the girls, get out and be successful! That is what it is all about right there. And suppressed, nice touch! How old is your daughter this year?

It is what it is about... She is 14 this year...
Originally Posted By: JTPinTXOh yeah, what rifle and cartridge is she shooting there?

Remington 700 SPS tactical in 308

Originally Posted By: hm1996Congratulations Jeremy and "Miss Jeremy". Very nice buck and nicely done!

Had to get amused at dad's buck fever. Isn't it strange, Jeremy, how one "outgrows" buck fever after a few years hunting but has a severe relapse when it comes around to time for the offspring to take the shot years later?
wink.gif
I remember well.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

I have noticed how bad I get when a shooter comes in... It is hard to get used to having an animal come in and it be completely out of your control... She stays pretty calm and does not rush the shot.. A lot better than me...it is more excitement watching her shoot them..

My daughter, at 7 years old, is still shooting the 223. She is pretty sensitive to noise and muzzle blast, but the suppressor helps tremendously with that. She is starting to improve quite a bit now that she is really getting comfortable with the rifle, and is getting big enough to control it on her own. This spring I am going to get her out, set her up prone on a bipod, and see if we can start stretching it out a bit on steel.

A big congrats to your daughter and to you as well! Hope to find one like that with my son for youth day this Saturday!

Thanks fellas...

Originally Posted By: JTPinTXMy daughter, at 7 years old, is still shooting the 223. She is pretty sensitive to noise and muzzle blast, but the suppressor helps tremendously with that. She is starting to improve quite a bit now that she is really getting comfortable with the rifle, and is getting big enough to control it on her own. This spring I am going to get her out, set her up prone on a bipod, and see if we can start stretching it out a bit on steel.

That's about the age my daughter started deer hunting... It took her a couple seasons until she got her first... She missed a couple and bad shot placement... I think a lot of it had to do with fear of the rifle as well.. She started with a savage 243 with pencil barrel that had pretty heavy recoil... The weight of the rem700 cut down on recoil compared to the savage... Your daughter was 6 when she got her first... Your daughter should be good now that you got your suppressor...

I have learned, through several kids, that fear of the rifle is the hardest thing. Once they aren't scared of that any more, the rest is easy. The main culprit of the fear is not recoil near as much as it is noise and muzzle blast. The suppressor helps that sooo much. Or doubling up ear protection.

My daughter hunts in a place we call "The Woods," where I used to bow hunt. The setup is in tight quarters, which keeps distances very short. Her shot last year was about 25 yards. She shot it with one of those old discontinued 60 grain Nosler Solid Base bullets. It ran about 25 yards and piled up. She smoked it, put the shot dead money. We are basically running the same set-up this year, next year she will be ready to start transitioning into more traditional style hunting. At some point she will have to start shooting a bigger rifle, but not for a few years. Next will probably be a light-loaded 7x57. I won't rush it though.

In comparison, my middle sons first buck was a total rodeo. It would make a good story, you would be rolling.

Back