First two for the year...new endings and new beginnings

shelton573

Well, I had to go home this past weekend for a special occasion. My oldest brother is having his first baby in December (potentially on my birthday) and I am pretty excited to be an uncle for the first time! My other sister in law threw Brian's wife a baby shower so when the ladies were done with the shower, me and brother number 2 (Patrick) had big brother a diaper kegger. In short, it is a man baby shower...I know, I know, it may sound lame but boy was it a good time. Me and pat bought the kegs and smoked pork butts and in order for our friends to eat and drink, they had to bring a pack of diapers. We ended up getting them about 1000-1200 diapers to start the new adventure with and it ended up being too much fun but beneficial.

I decided since I was gonna be home and the weather was right we would kick the Missouri coyote beat down off early this year, or at least try. I bought my $130 out of state tag on Friday and Saturday morning before we had to prep for the party, me and my buddy grabbed the caller and the rifles and headed out before daylight. We both decided to start the year out with a "big boom" and grabbed the 25-06 loaded with 75 gr vmax and the 270 with 110 vmax. We picked our favorite kick off spot but when we got there the wind had switched out of our favor. In a panic, we piled back in the truck and headed to a trusty spot that all started our coyote hunting obsession 7 years ago. It's a place we call the 2 minute spot because we USUALLY have one killed in 2 min or less...this time was no exception. Here is our typical setup with the wind we had. The wind was blowing from the west which it's where all the WRP ground was behind us.
FavoriteStand2.jpg

We walked the half mile in and sat up beside the pivot base that we always have since we started Y&H Predator Hunting. We laid out prone since the area is flat and...well...it's how we have always hunted the spot and why change tradition? Once I finally got the wildfire 2 to play after a couple minutes of trying (it hates starting if you are laying on the same level with it), it wasn't long before we kicked it off with a boom.

At the 13 second mark I hear my buddy whisper "coyote!" And look over to see the Yote standing 30 yds away. My buddy swings on it and let's the 75 gr vmax talk to it at 3650 fps. Unfortunately, the coyote took one step forward as he squeezed the trigger and he punched it through the gut. The coyote hit the dirt then stumbled back up and just as fast as the first round hit it, Alex had another one on its way that found it's mark hard and it was DRT.

For whatever reason, the foxbang did not engage so I had to switch it over manually. Once I finally got it to play pup in distress, I let it run for 1 minute then switched back to adult cottontail. I reached over and gave the typical celebratory fist bump and we stayed for another 3 minutes. Out of excitement we decided to call it and I got up on my knees to shut down the caller and check the Yote because we were pressed for time and we were behind schedule...enter the first mistake...then enter the big ginger coyote...

I saw it at about 150 yds first running as hard as it could towards the decoy. Luckily, he didn't notice my busch league BS mistake and I dropped back down to the rifle. When I got on him he was about 100 yds away. We finally got him stopped at about 85 yds and the 110 vmax made a smack that sounded like a train wreck.

The bullet hit in front of the right shoulder and violently exited through the left armpit. To our surprise he stood up on his good leg so Alex gave it a 75 gr to the back and I gave it another 110 to the neck....such a tough animal and I have nothing but respect for them.

It didn't play out by the book like we planned but at the end of the day, we got it done. First we celebrated an ending before we celebrated an upcoming new beginning. Can't wait for December when I meet more coyotes and I get to meet that beautiful little girl that I will proudly call my niece. Thanks for looking guys!
image_45.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: 204 ARDang that sounds like a fun weekend! Diaper kegger, lmfao! Neat idea!

It's fun until the next morning haha

Soooo, how many guys were there to bring the 1200 diapers? I hear ya about the next morning. I don't do that stuff anymore.

There was about 30 total. Some brought packs of 35 and some went all out and brought packs of 200 plus so it really bumped it up hah. I learned that at the age of 26 that I don't even need to do that stuff anymore lol

Last edited:
One of the first things I learned with my first born was which end is the front of the diaper
scared.gif

Thanks for taking us along for the ride... Nice coyotes, especially that red one with the hole in its back..

Thanks for sharing your hunt. Good looking coyotes. Congratulations on the new arrival.

Regards,
hm

bet it took some creative positioning to get a non graphic pic w/ ole ginger there. Those both look like good sized yotes to me. great story.

My kind of hunting. Go big or go home. Haha. I use 95 grain Hornady out of the 243. Typically the only movement after being hit with that, is them falling over.
And I'm taking the diaper kegger idea for when my kids are born, that is brilliant!

Thanks for the compliments guys! Probably shouldn't have went because now I can't focus on bow hunting...all I want to do is go back out coyote hunting! I'm going to have to work through that though with the rut coming up!

This diaper kegger is a great idea. With one on the way, I may need to do this.. you can never have too many diapers.. and in May thats a good time for a get together.. maybe not the best time to kill yotes... o who am I kidding ! Its always a good time for that!! Great job, maybe if you get to come down in December and not too busy I can get to go on a ride along too see the yote slayer in action

Heck yea Shawn, you got my number. And I wouldn't call myself a yote slayer, just in the right place at the right time now and again HAH!

I hear ya... I have vacation im looking into using if I dont use it I lose it.. just have to figure out how much so I still have some for the baby on may.. but I will get a hold of ya closer to time..

Back