Coyote Hunting From A Tree Stand

Struttin1

This past Saturday I went along with a guy to call coyotes. When we got there he said lets get up in this tower stand. It was made of 4 X 4's with a rail around it. We got up, in waited for daylight. Once it got light enough to shoot. I howled 3 times with a diaphragm call. No joke, 30 seconds had two run in to 15 steps. Shot the first one at 15 steps, stopped the 2nd one at 40 yards. Couldn't get a clear shot. But, I think I'll tree stand approach more often. If the wind is right and the situation is right. Anybody else hunt from a stand very often?

I'll have to check the regs, but it used to not be legal in AL.

no reason using tree stands wouldn't be effective but for most of us, only if they're fixed stands that you just climb up into. not worth it to use portable stands that have to be set up 7 taken down for every stand made.

I have shot them from tree stands while hunting deer... Targets of opportunity... Hard to hide your silhouette and not be skylined...

I like a fast paced contest style hunting myself. but, this was just one of those opportunities that just worked out good for the situation. It was fun. I'll post a pic tonight

Here in TX its pretty standard procedure for calling cats at night. They hunt the feeders anyway, so it helps to locate them.
Criteria #1 for calling a cat, in my opinion, is to make a stand within 500 yards of a cat, haha.

When I'm Coyote Hunting on our Farm 90% of the time I am up in one of my many ladder stands and most of my Coyote Kills have been out of some type of elevated stand over looking a wide open area with a combination of field and woods.When we hunt the heavy woods on a Public Land where We hunt mostly on the ground I try to set up where I can see a good distance to cover more ground.Most of my ladder stands are for when I Bow Hunt or Rifle Hunt for Deer and they are still in good spots for Predator Hunting,some times I will move a stand after Deer Season in an area that the Coyotes seem to travel more or I catch them on my trail camera?

In answer to Stu Farish.....You can carry a light weight Aluminum Climbing stand and set up just about any where in the larger Woods/Forest and be more versitile and keep Your scent up higher off the ground.When We get to Hunt a local Farmers or a Cattle Ranchers Land I ask if they have any stands set up so I can Hunt out of them or some times We get lucky and get to sit in a nice comfortable Raised Box Blind!
wink.gif

Last edited:
My uncle almost exclusively hunts from stands, he is one of the most successful varmint hunters i know. Gives him a better view, out of sight and keeps the wind out of the pups nose

If the stand is there and easy to get in and out, then why not. No way would I pack a 16 - 20+ pound climber around and make the noise or take the extra time to set one up, climb, call for 20 - 30 minutes, climb down, pack the climber up and hump another 1/4 to 1/2 mile with it to go through all that stuff again. Not worth the trouble and very possibly the noise of the climber could actually alert nearby predators. Time lost fooling around with climber is time lost making another stand.

I hunt out of box stands on our lease. I just set my caller out and climb in. There is nevver anyone around after deer season closes on the first weekend in January. Pick a stand with the right wind and climb in.

Originally Posted By: GCIf the stand is there and easy to get in and out, then why not. No way would I pack a 16 - 20+ pound climber around and make the noise or take the extra time to set one up, climb, call for 20 - 30 minutes, climb down, pack the climber up and hump another 1/4 to 1/2 mile with it to go through all that stuff again. Not worth the trouble and very possibly the noise of the climber could actually alert nearby predators. Time lost fooling around with climber is time lost making another stand.

I dont think this is what they meant, just existing stands or ones already place for future sets

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinOriginally Posted By: GCIf the stand is there and easy to get in and out, then why not. No way would I pack a 16 - 20+ pound climber around and make the noise or take the extra time to set one up, climb, call for 20 - 30 minutes, climb down, pack the climber up and hump another 1/4 to 1/2 mile with it to go through all that stuff again. Not worth the trouble and very possibly the noise of the climber could actually alert nearby predators. Time lost fooling around with climber is time lost making another stand.

I dont think this is what they meant, just existing stands or ones already place for future sets

It's what someone said...

Quote:You can carry a light weight Aluminum Climbing stand and set up ...

Contrear to how most People Hunt Predators/Coyotes I personally don't move around Calling several different spots at 30-45 minute intervals,I usually go to an Area I know there are Coyotes,Bobcats or Foxes about 2-3 hours before dark and set up quietly then do a little Calling then wait a while and try some Barking or Pup Distress and watch the area for movement....do a few Distress Sounds and watch for movement or sit quietly towards dark listening for any Coyotes Howling/Barking and do some Coyote Sounds to entice them to come in!

In the mornings I try to get to my Spot before daylight,set up and try some soft Distress Sounds or use my Mouse Squeaker and watch for Coyotes,if nothing comes in I will try some Coyote Vocals and sit quietly watching the area.If nothing shows after about 1 hour or more I may move to another Area 1/4 mile away or walk over 1-2 Ridge Tops (200-400 yards) and try it again there.

Some times when I am out Coyote Hunting with my Calling Partner we will split up and I will Hunt in a lower Field while He calls from a Ridge Top or from several Hundred Yards away and I have caught Coyotes circling around to either pick up His Scent or to slip around Him and I've shot several like that.

Last edited:
I'm successful at it GC....most Property here is split up into smaller tracts and You can't always move around a whole lot so We hunt 100-200 Acre Spots where we know there are Coyotes and eventually they will be there or passing thru and we call them in.In larger Areas we might move a few times if We start out early in the Day and don't have any luck,We will Call for a while,move some and Scout any newer Areas and Call as We move!

On our 100 Acre Farm I will Call in either the first main Ridge Field Pine Tree Stand or work the bottom Fields that circle around the back side of the Ridge Field or I will slip in one of my stands at the very back of the Ridge Field and Call from my 2-man stand?In the mornings with the Rising Sun to my back the 2-man stand is the ideal spot and the Front Pine Tree stand is great with the setting Sun to my back....also have a few ladder stand set up for different wind directions too!

Last edited:
I'm not in your shoes so there is that... But from the outside looking in it would seem that to sit on 100 acres and call for three hours would be both a way to burn an area out and waste a lot of time that could be spent moving to someplace where there is a coyote within hearing distance. If there is a coyote within hearing distance and he wants to respond he'll be there within twenty minutes, usually half that. There are reasons experienced successful coyote guys don't do exactly the same thing as you. The more stands you make the better the odds you get within hearing range of a workable coyote. It's a percentage game. But if all you have is that limited ground available I guess there isn't any place to move to. So you do what you do.

I can't imagine being confined to such small hunting territory. I know where you live, isn't there some public ground within an hour or so that you can stretch your legs in?

Back