Homemade hog saddle

Jacob_Hanan

Has anyone ever made a homemade hog saddle? I am in the process of making one from a window mount for a spotting scope. It will fit on top of a tripod and clamp on the forend of your rifle in for hands-free calling.

Any pics of yours would be nice.

Idk if this is the correct place to post this question.

What window mount are you using? I was looking at doing that and just couldn't find anything that was sturdy feeling. And you really need a good tripod to use also. I saw some older ones on eBay that looked like they would work better. But then the weight gets to be a concern. I found shooting sticks worked better. A hog saddle is nice if you stay in 1 location, but then I might just build a bench there.

Yep... I'm not sure why anyone would want one of these...LOL

hhog%20saddle_zpsfqnnzqhl.jpg

I have taken a 4 inch piece of PVC pipe cut it in half and lined it with sheep skin drilled it and mounted a nut in it with JB weld and used it on a tripod. Very steady. That said I usually just use sticks. I use this set-up more for big game hunting where I am set up and glassing for long periods of time and expecting longer shots.

drscott

I tried various home made versions, then just went and bought the pig saddle version. It works outstandingly well. With a high quality tripod, it will hold heavier rifles with ease.

I have a Sako TRG, which is pretty heavy and the saddle holds it nicely.

THIS!
Originally Posted By: Lost_RiverI tried various home made versions, then just went and bought the pig saddle version. It works outstandingly well. With a high quality tripod, it will hold heavier rifles with ease.

Back