Wal Mart hits the skids after stopping AR-15 sales

LOLOLOL your kidding right? A 400 BILLION dollar multi national company is down 10% because they stopped selling one item at less 1500 stores out of 5200 in the USA? USA stores barely make up 50% of WalMarts total store count. I think it's more likely that WalMart is down 10% because they can't keep everyday grocery items in stock, their U.S. Stores missed a remodel cycle, they can't find a strategy for clothing especially women's clothing, and out of their primary customer base, people who shop at WalMart more then 3 times a week... 66% of those have NO type of bank account. Why do you think WalMart wants to get into banking so bad? Believe what you want... If ARs were a profit driver for WalMart they would still be on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: lowtempguru If ARs were a profit driver for WalMart they would still be on the shelf.

It's not that AR's were a profit driver, it's that gun enthusiasts tend to boycott stores that lean toward anti-gun sentiments.

So your saying gun owners WORLD WIDE are outraged and boycotting WalMart.. Causing the stock to fall?? If gun enthusiast were a big WalMart demographic they would know it, ARs would still be on the shelf... Maybe more of a vocal minority

Last edited:
Typical NY Times horsefeathers!

Quote: Note the emphasis on “sporting"
Quote:assault rifles
Quote: Congress has refused to include for background checks under gun registration laws.

No attempt to slant the story by the liberal MSM here, folks. Sure wouldn't want to mis-epresent the facts in the least, now would they?
cursing.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: lowtempguruLOLOLOL your kidding right? A 400 BILLION dollar multi national company is down 10% because they stopped selling one item at less 1500 stores out of 5200 in the USA? USA stores barely make up 50% of WalMarts total store count. I think it's more likely that WalMart is down 10% because they can't keep everyday grocery items in stock, their U.S. Stores missed a remodel cycle, they can't find a strategy for clothing especially women's clothing, and out of their primary customer base, people who shop at WalMart more then 3 times a week... 66% of those have NO type of bank account. Why do you think WalMart wants to get into banking so bad? Believe what you want... If ARs were a profit driver for WalMart they would still be on the shelf.

Yep, they know they are seeing slumping sales, the terrible economy, as well as the garbage economy in the other countries they operate in, as well as the revised profit and sales numbers that were just released, combined with the announcement that Walmart is going to be raising the company min wage a dollar this year and next too.

Stocks are priced based on projections, profit margins, and dividends. If you mess with those, you price goes down.

It's not the AR sales, sorry, but that is just wishful thinking.

Walmart is the number 1 food stamp retailer. They cater to mostly low income. When those people take a hit, Walmart takes a hit. The economy sucks for most people. This is a sign of things to come. Real wages haven't risen in decades, that's the real problem. The rest of the world is slowing down, and the fed just keeps printing money, which is tax payer debt. Just wait until the derivative plays come due. Taxpayers will bailout the banksters once again is all. This is crony capitalism. Most people haven't a clue what's going on.

Originally Posted By: lowtempguruLOLOLOL your kidding right? A 400 BILLION dollar multi national company is down 10% because they stopped selling one item at less 1500 stores out of 5200 in the USA? USA stores barely make up 50% of WalMarts total store count. I think it's more likely that WalMart is down 10% because they can't keep everyday grocery items in stock, their U.S. Stores missed a remodel cycle, they can't find a strategy for clothing especially women's clothing, and out of their primary customer base, people who shop at WalMart more then 3 times a week... 66% of those have NO type of bank account. Why do you think WalMart wants to get into banking so bad? Believe what you want... If ARs were a profit driver for WalMart they would still be on the shelf.

Pretty sure I agree with you 100%
A dip in stock price doesn't have didlyspit to do with them ditching the AR's

Not trying to start a pizzing match here, but after all the comments I have read has anyone actually read or heard why Walmart dropped sales of AR's? I don't remember reading anything about it.

Don't suppose that the powers that be offered WM something in return if they would stop selling AR's do you? After all it made a statement at a time when Obama renewed his anti gun push.

I know, I know. Just thinking out loud. I'm still not convinced that B. Clinton was not behind the Hazmat fee in the same manner. OK, I'll get back in my corner and put my tinfoil hat back on.....just color me paranoid.

Yeah, and I still remember the Alamo, too.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
I think it's more likely that they have become so big that they are having problems with suppliers being able to meet the day to day demand of products....While they historically are supposedly offering lower prices, in order to keep shelves stocked at an efficient and cost effective level, becomes a problem when all the logistics are considered...

I'm familiar with one bottling company that supplies a lot of their products and have witnessed one of the production lines that begin with a small plastic tube that is heated, blown into a 2 liter size, cooled, filled and capped for palletizing at a rate of several thousand units per hour...The line, in operation, reminds me of a chain gun on a gunship...

The time of the start of production until the pallet is ready for loading on a semi is phenominally short and the company is having a hard time keeping up with demand orders..Then there is the travel time for the trucks to get to the distribution centers...

After a few of the previous shenanigans that Mr Sam pulled on some suppliers in years past, where he contracted for X number thousand of shirts at a given price and the suppliers took out loans to expand to meet the demand and then when the contract came up for renewal, Mr Sam would only pay his offered price (lower than original) and the supplier was stuck with a large loan to pay and wound up closing down due to Bankruptcy....Not too many suppliers these days are willing to fall into the same trap...Years ago, it was reported that Mr Sam went to tire companies wanting to line up a supplier for a WalMart brand of tire, but no one would get into a contract, fearing the same outcome as the shirt supplier...He would up reportedly buying General Tire, or a large portion of it, and that's why the Tracker II tire can only be found at WalMart or Sam's Club..

Many suppliers are not willing to go out on a limb financially when dealing with WalMart and they (WalMart) may be hitting that over expansion point with regards to suppliers..

If you spend any time wandering around their stores, count the number of employees in the whole store that are servicing the floor goods...I understand that they have gone into a restructuring program that has reduced the number of people and therefore their flexible payroll costs...

Then there is the whole board of directors problem when you consider the practices that Mr. Sam used to utilize when he was alive and the attitudes of the controlling board now...Big difference...It's very little about the decision not to sell ARs...

Amen to that

Originally Posted By: KizmoSo, in a mere month after Wal Mart announced they would discontinue sales of AR-15's, Wal Mart stock is down 10%

Coincidence? I think not. You have to be really stupid to anger potential gun buyers when a huge % of your stores are in rural areas.

They've gotten what they deserve.

If they were making real $$ on AR's (which are sooooo competitive right now, nobody can charge much more than the next guy or they simply wont sell in this current overflow-of-AR's-market), they'd still be selling them everywhere. I think some stores still are.

Sounds like a periodic market shift downward, and a darn good time to buy into Walmart stock!

Originally Posted By: Big_FootNot trying to start a pizzing match here, but after all the comments I have read has anyone actually read or heard why Walmart dropped sales of AR's? I don't remember reading anything about it.

Limited profit margins and sales vs. liability and also security and handling requirements most likely had a big influence. It's no secret their board is liberals, the decision to stop the sales was most likely the guidance of the Operating leaders, board, and legal advice.

Around here Amazon is taking a big bite out of Walmart also, I know I'd much rather order from Amazon than drive 20 miles and have such a poor selection of items. Our Walmart used to have a nice selection of hunting gear but now it is down to next to nothing and after taking a recent trip through ID, MT, ND, MN, WI, IL, MO, AR, OK, CO it seemed as if all the sporting departments had exactly the same gear with nothing regionally geared. Stopped a four stores trying to find a predator mouth call in prime coyote country and they didn't carry them anymore.

I will say the best deal around is Walmarts dollar spinner baits, it is cheaper to buy there baits than replacement skirts for more expensive baits plus they are deadly on northern pike and bass in NW WI.

Last edited:
I'm honestly surprised Wally World has held on to any gun sales; obviously guns and ammo are profitable for them, or they would have all gone away. But, given the controversy over ARs, falsified as it may be, by the special interest group stock holders, yeah I can see them letting those go. I'd expect to see all toy guns removed from the kiddy aisle next, they've already been substantially curtailed; we cannot be training our children to be violent, while being active. They must learn to be violent while becoming obese, sitting on the couch playing video games unsupervised for days on end.

Back