Some of your favorite gun vise/rests for sight in?

I always shot great from bipods, but quit doing that when we had about 3 ft snow on the ground and a coyote ran up and there i was with bipod legs sunk down in the snow, id have to lift the gun 6 ft so that i could move it.....just not an all-around setup

Originally Posted By: Bearcat 74
Homemade sand bags
cut the arms off some old sweat shirts and use ty-wraps for the ends.....works great

I have a friend that bought the Caldwell with the windage top, and he is disappointed. The main shaft with the mariner wheel, the threads are too coarse, so small changes are difficult. The bottom T if you tighten it slightly too much, it locks the main shaft as well, so your caught between guessing, too tight or having it fall. There's a lot of slop in the whole thing. For someone that only shoots a few times a year it will work, but a cast iron RW Hart, Sinclair or a Bald Eagle would be much better. Weight is your friend, so skip the aluminum. I have a hard time with the guys that suggest a bi-pod for group testing, and feel sorry for those that don't shoot off a GOOD rest, with the right rear bag.

Originally Posted By: ninehorsesFor someone that only shoots a few times a year it will work, but a cast iron RW Hart, Sinclair or a Bald Eagle would be much better.

The Cowan rest is another good one in that category.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: fw707A front bipod works pretty well.

Yep and a bag for the back.

+1

I use the MTM Shoulder Gard rest.A definite improvement over putting a soft gun case on top of a hard case.I keep a bottle full of lead shot in the compartment to soak up recoil.Handy for cleaning the bore to.

I personally use the Lead sled. I do this because when i am sighting in or testing load development, i want to do the best I can to make sure the rifle doing the talking.

I like the heavy lead sled, because with it, I can fire a shot, matching the cross hairs on the target lines. Fire the first shot, check to make sure the rifle is still aimed at the bulls eye, and lined up as it should be, then i move the cross hairs until it's right on the bullet hole. It's very hard to do this one shot zero without the use of a sled or other set up that holds it in place.

Also, for test loads, i like that i am testing the load and by using a solid platform i eliminate user errors.

If you are talking about just bench shooting, i like the front and rear sand bags from Caldwell.

I've been using the Caldwell Lead Sled Dual Frame Technology for sighting in my rifle and optics.

I add two 25 lbs of lead shot to the lead sled and then also strap it down with a couple of straps that have ratcheting devices to tighten them down on the shooting stand.

This system take almost all the human error out of the sight in of my rifle.

After the rifle is sighed in I use the Caldwell Tack Driver bag filled with sand or cat litter.

When I'm in the field I shoot off a Primos bipod system.

Back