6.5 Grendel with 85gr?

Yoda-X

I am looking to buy more bullets for the Grendel and was thinking of loading the 85gr Sierra Varminters for a little extra speed. Will just be slamming yotes with it and not saving pelts. So, anyone shooting them from an AR and want to share some load data or recommend something else?

Pulling the trigger (pun intended) on an order in the morning.

They shoot better than anything else in my new build. I worked up to 31.5 gr of IMR 8208 in a Hdy case for 2820 fps from an 18" BHW barrel. They make sub 1/2" groups. This afternoon, after getting just under moa groups with 123 amax and 95 gr vmax I shot a 3 shot, hot barrel group with the sierras that measured .4" outside to outside of bullet holes. They have a terrible bc but they do shoot!

What was your COAL?

I am shooting an 18" barrel also. My hope was to get close to 2800 with it. I have a couple pounds of 8208 waiting for some new loads.

2.2" coal for mine. Not touching lands or even close. fwiw it still shot great seated deaper, it seems to be a very forgiving bullet. Is yours a BHW barrel?

I don't have a Grendel but shoot an old Rem 700 in 6.5 Rem Mag some. The 95 grain V-Max is the most accurate bullet I've shot through it so far. Tiny groups. I haven't shot any 85 grain bullets. Ought to be devastating on yotes. I've been wanting to shoot a yote with the 95s in my 6.5 but haven't gotten a shot the couple of times I've taken it.

I shoot a lot of the 85 sierras in mine. It's a 22" BHW barrel. It shoots very nice groups with 8208 as well. I would have to look at load data. But it hammers the yotes. It is one of my favorite bullets for my rifle.

Drakeky if you find that load data I would be grateful. Next week I will be sending some of these down range and will report my results.

If you guys have your load data for the 85gr/8208 combo of be interested as well. I bought some of the bullets a while back and never got around to working up a load

I've gotten good results with the 95 gr VMax, haven't tried these. I may have to pay with them a bit just to see how my rifle likes them.

I got some initial data from Hodgdon. Plus some folks helped with data on FB and the 6.5 Grendel site. Don't have my info in front of me right now, but will post up later with it.

I got data on AA2520:

AA2520
BulletWeight Bullet Make Type Start Load Start Velocity Max Load Max Velocity
85 SIERRA HP 30.5 2,724 33.9 2,996

The other powders I have on hand:

N140
N350
Benchmark
AA3100
H380
W748
W296
W231
Varget
8208 XBR

I know all won't be suitable, but if anyone has load data for any of these it would let me experiment without having to buy a new powder as well as bullets.

Hey 204 AR! Have a question for ya. You have any knowledge with converting 7.62x39 into 6.5 Grendel? The word I heard on the street is you can take 39 brass and with one shot through a 6.5 dies you get Grendel brass. The problem is that I tried this and by all rights, it is Grendel brass. The only problem is that my rifle doesn't feel the same way. First slam of the bolt the gun does not go fully into battery. The second slam of the bolt and it does go into battery, however I have to beat the bolt back open. Not my idea of perfect brass.
I've played with the dies, and have been reloading long enough to know that I must be missing something! Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Rob

I haven't tried it Rob, though I know a guy locally who has. I'm not sure of the details but I was thinking he turns the necks. That might be your problem. Also, according to what I've read on 65grendel.com the capacity is quite a bit less, so adjust your loads if you get the brass figured out.

Thank a bunch. I'll keep working it.
That was the one thing I didn't check with the mics. That could very well be the problem. I really hope it is not. I have a .340 neck 308 Win and its a pain to make brass for.
Once again, thanks for the help!!!

Rob

Here are the loads I just loaded for the range on Thursday:

Sighters, just to get dialed close with the D-EVO/LCO combo

120gr A-Max over 28.6gr of H335 with a COAL of 2.29 which is 0.015 off the lands.

85gr Sierra HP Varminter: The COAL is .015 off the lands
30.1gr H335 COAL 2.196
30.3gr H335 COAL 2.196
30.5gr H335 COAL 2.196

31.0gr XBR8208 COAL 2.196
31.2gr XBR8208 COAL 2.196

100gr Nosler Partition:
31.0gr H335 COAL 2.245

20" Shilen Barrel

CCI 450
Lapua Brass
AA2230 30.6 grains