Weekend in the Sandhills of NE

mhammer

My son and I were lucky enough to draw rifle antelope tags this year. So we made a weekend out of it. Went a day early to do some scouting and get the lay of the land. Was lucky enough to meet a great family through a mutual friend that let us set up the camper in his yard which saved us about 50 miles each day. Anyway, after the first day of scouting and seeing 8 different coyotes just driving around, we decided to make a stand at last light. My host wanted to go and of course so did his 4 and 11 year olds. The 5 of us made our way in the hills behind his house and made a stand. About 7 minutes in we had this big old male come in on my side. He wad DRT at 16 yards.

Saturday we took the 11 year old with us to do some antelope hunting. We stopped the truck and walked over the crest of a big sandhill to do some glassing. No antelope spotted so I decided the wind and sun were right to try a stand for coyotes. 2 howls and there were responses from just about every direction. We were able to watch 2 coyote howling back at us. 2 series from the ruffidawg and we had a pair coming. I stopped them at 125 yards and my 16 year old shot his first coyote. He should of had a double put pulled the shot on the second one. Another adult male.

And yes, we called them in with all 3 of us in full orange.

I was able to put a stock on decent buck and put him down at 125 yards.

My son ended up getting 2 more coyotes making 3 for him and 4 total for the weekend. No pics of the other 2 as the 6.8 was not very friendly on pups.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mhammerThanks guys. We had a great time and made some memories.

204, we were between Valentine and Thedford.

Beautiful country through there.

Back